Sanctuary

Vote, and Comment❤
🥵Happy Valentine🥵

June 2020

As my birthday neared I grew more and more anxious. It was just shy of 6 days away. I wanted to just hop on a damn time machine and just jump to that day. I was having some impatience. Well alot of damn impatience. "Did you learn what he had planned?" No, he wasn't saying shit. He was making sure I had a birthday for the history books though. My birthday countdown started at 10. "What was that?" 10 days before my birthday duh! I got a gift everyday. You ever wake up to 2 thousand dollar shoes?

"How did you know!!!?" Mel screeched, bouncing on the bed. Derrick chuckled continuing to shave. He had been waiting for her to wake up and notice. The sound of her squealing had been signal enough. She came bouncing into the bathroom. That mile wide grin on her face. Bouncing with her new Giuseppe heels in hand.

"What?" He chuckled, as she continued to bounce and stare at him.

"How'd you knowwwwwww?" She drug out.

"When we had dinner the other night. You were looking at a woman's shoes while we were waiting for the check." He answered, she stared at him in disbelief. She had looked at those shoes for less than a damn minute.

"But for like 2 seconds."

"Two seconds enough." He responded, lowering to wash the remaining shaving cream off. As he stood back up drying his face Mel jumped at him. He stumbled barely having time to catch her. Climbing him like the tree he was she planted a kiss of thanks on him.

"You're welcome." He muttered against her lips, walking them back into the bedroom. He dropped her onto the bed.

"You're wearing them today aren't you?" He asked.

"Yes I am!"

"I thought so." He grinned, heading into the closet to get dressed for the day. Melinda squealed again for good measure before getting up to start her day. Getting dressed in a blue lace off the shoulder top, and a black pencil skirt with a slit. Pairing it with her new heels, new earrings, new necklace, and new watch.

"You know you don't have to wear all the gifts at once...right?" Derrick asked, as she entered the dining room.

"Yes I do." Melinda stated firmly, Derrick rose his hands in mock surrender.

I just needed to wear everything and use anything he got me. Nobody did that for me. Sure I'd get a gift from my sisters, or a gift from Jo. But it wasn't the same. He just..... took the time to get his gifts together. Some were material things and others had real meaning. He could've given me a damn rock and I'd have cherished it. You couldn't tell me shit! Was so damn happy I did the unthinkable. "What was that?" Inviting my sisters out for lunch. I was trying to be more inclusive and open with them. "Trying to mend broken bridges." More then broken there was no damn bridge, I was building one.

"This place is so nice." Brenda complimented, looking around the nice restaurant they were at.

"Speaking of things that are nice. You look beautiful Mel." June complimented, not sure when the last time they saw her with her hair up.

"Thank you." Melinda smiled, an awkward air settling in. They were all not sure where to begin. Derrick found it quite amusing. For sisters that wanted the 411 all the damn time, with him here he was sure they were on their best behavior.

"So Mel what are you doing for your birthday? This is the first year in forever we can do something." Brenda tossed, Melinda looked at Derrick a pout pulling at her features.