30 | It's Bittersweet

*t/w: mentions of self-harm and suicide*

i blinked at 5k and now we're at 7k??!! thank u <3

P E A R L

Travelling to school during a warm afternoon was exhausting. I wasn't sure why Ms Mac called in a bus for only eight people, but we didn't have a say in the matter.

"The drive from here to Vanour's beach is two hours," She trudged onto the bus first with a beige sunhat in her hand. "The driver is so kind as to place your luggage into the boot of the bus."

She offered him a smile, but the old man was too busy trying to fit Mia's large suitcase with the rest of ours into the hatch on the side of the bus.

"Right, then," Ms Mac cleared her throat and looked back at us. "Headcount," She mumbled numbers under her breath before stopping at me.

Her exasperated sigh was indicative of Zion's absence.

"This boy will never learn, will he?" With a sharp shake of her head, she gestured for us all to hop into the bus.

I stayed behind them, looking down the street for any sign of Zion.

As bad as it sounded, I couldn't handle this trip on my own. I knew I should've at least tried to face the beach all over again - by myself - but I needed to do it in baby steps. Maybe Zion's presence would be what I needed to do it.

"Pearl?" Autumn Ward stood at the top of the few steps leading into the bus, tilting her head at me. "Too late to back out now. Come on."

She - along with everyone else on that bus - had no idea what was holding me back. Autumn was right, though.

It was too late to back out now, and I couldn't let one bad memory ruin the possibility of numerous good ones.

Sighing heavily, I glanced for the last time to my right, where I found Zion's sauntering frame coming toward us.

A gust of relief cooled me down. I would've smiled so brightly if I didn't hear Ms MacQuoid telling us to hurry up.

The driver took Zion's luggage, and he thanked him before turning his gaze to me.

He was dressed in a baggy graphic t-shirt and grey sweatpants with black sneakers. The tattoos that sprawled against his bronze skin were on full display.

"You look like you're holding back from jumping me," His smile was contagious, branding dimples into his cheeks.

I ignored his true words and shook my head, walking in front of him into the bus.

The air conditioner was on, and I was met with a wave of cool wind. Everyone else was scattered around the roomy bus, and it wasn't difficult to find a good seat at the back, away from all their noise.