Chapter Twenty One- Karma Is A B*tch

I woke up to the sound of my phone alarm blasting near my ear.

Huh. I guess I put my phone underneath my pillow last night.

Groaning, I turned off the alarm and closed my eyes to try going back to sleep until I remembered that we were driving to the beach house today.

Memories of last night flooded my mind, and I covered my face with my hands, embarrassed that I was practically naked in front of Xander.

If Caleb hadn't interrupted us, who knows how far we would have gone.

I felt Xander stir beside me and decided against waking him up just yet because I knew he had to drive. Carefully I lifted his arm from around my waist and pulled the cover from my body, ignoring the way my body instantly felt cold when I did so.

I made it out of his room without waking him and made my way downstairs to make everyone some coffee. I knew I needed it. "Morning, sweetheart." I jumped at the sound of the twin's mom. I didn't see her as I walked into the kitchen as she was sitting at the small table, which was slightly out of view. They had the main table in the dining room.

"Morning." I smiled over at her before walking over to the coffee pot to check there was enough for two cups. I poured the dark liquid into two cups before adding sugar. I preferred my coffee without cream of a morning.

Mrs. Carter was used to me sleeping around, and I was always comfortable around her. She had even taken me on a few shopping trips for a 'girls day' as she liked to put it. She had always said how much she wanted a daughter, and I never complained. It felt nice to have some girl time, and God knows I wasn't getting it at home.

"Xander has a splash of half and half." I didn't hide my surprise as the words left her mouth. How did she know?

"You're wearing his shorts, plus there's a boy in Caleb's room, and the spare room you usually sleep in when his is occupied was empty when I checked this morning to wake you." Crap, I forgot I asked her to wake me if my alarm didn't do the job.

"I'm sorry, nothing happened." The words stumbled out of my mouth before I could stop them, making me want to dig a hole and crawl inside. She raised her eyebrows and took a sip of her coffee.

"It's about time if anything did happen. You two have been acting like a married couple for years now." She let out a small chuckle, but I didn't find what she was saying funny. In fact, I felt embarrassed that she knew something happened last night. I turned around before my red cheeks gave me away and got the half and half from the fridge before pouring some into the mug.

"When does Mr. Carter come back from his trip?" I asked, changing the subject and brought the cup to my lips. I never knew what their dad did for a living. Every time the topic came up, the twins would dodge around it, but I never questioned it.

"He comes back sometime next week."

"It's been almost a month already?" She nodded her head and glanced at her watch before calling Lee down for school and straightening out her pantsuit.

"I've got to take the little guy to school. I hope you guys enjoy the trip and make sure the boys lock up and feed the dog." I nodded my head and gave Lee a quick hug when he came running in my direction. Mrs. Carter walked towards me and pulled me in for a hug before telling me to be safe and make sure the twins didn't get into trouble.

I heard the door slam as they left the house and decided I better wake up sleeping beauty. I grabbed the drinks and made my way up the stairs, trying not to spill any of the hot liquid.

"Ah, morning sunshine," I said as soon as I saw Xander sitting up in his bed on his phone. The covers pooled around his legs, leaving his torso on show. His tattoo caught my eye like it usually did.