Chapter 22

*Hi, everyone! This chapter sets the stage for a serious turn the book will take so I really hope everyone enjoys. As always, please be vocal with your thoughts, concerns, and questions! If you are not comfortable posting them then I encourage you to reach out to me directly! Hope everyone is safe and well. - K.A.*

NAOMI'S POV:

Mr. Davis wanted me to be ready to leave before chores and breakfast, which can only mean sometime before 8:00 a.m.  You would think I'd be dragging my feet to get out of bed, a subconscious move to delay the pain and exhausting experience set out before me today.  However, I've been awake for quite some time now.  I went to bed somewhere around nine, although I did not fall asleep until midnight, and woke up a little after 5:30 a.m.

I guess my presentiment did the hard part of waking up early for me.  Leaving me to sit here in my dark room with nothing but the sound of my own thoughts...and believe me when I say that I was drowning in them.  I always knew that this day would come, but I supposed my hope had my heart and my mind clinging onto the idea of my parents returning unexpectedly before the school year began.

*Buzz, buzz, buzz* Glancing over at my obnoxious alarm clock, I realized that it was near 7:30 a.m.

"Uh," I sighed. "Alright, alright, let's get to the bathroom." I wanted to run some cold water over my face to give me a sense of refreshment.

Even though I could tell some of the other students were beginning to wake up, the usual for a Friday as everyone would like to get things done early so they can enjoy their weekend, my mind was still allowing my body to move as if it were 5:30.  I journeyed slowly, with very little hesitation, and absolutely no stride in my pace.

"Hey, good morning" Jasper snuck up behind me and tapped me lightly on the shoulder.

"You scared me." I whispered but returned a smile. "Why are you in the girl's corridor?"

"Well after that night we shared together," He gave me a flirty smirk. "Mr. Davis gave me a long, long list of chores to do."

"Oh jeez, for how long?"

"When I asked him the same, but he gave me that look that makes my nose bleed." 

"I am familiar with that look." We chuckled.

His smile could light up the entire building.  All I wanted to do was touch him; to give him a hug and hold his hand because I know that he is still in a lot of pain.  He was the only student at Braxton that recognized the pain in others, as he had done for me in the past, and he did so with selfishness.  I could feel his pain every time I looked in his eyes, past that charming smile he wore so plainly.  I could see right through him.  I always could.

But after the other night, I've had different feelings every time I looked at him.  I just wanted to connect with him as much as we had that night.  I never knew what physical tension felt like, I've only read about it in books, but I think maybe this is what it is.

"Would you want to get together this weekend?"

"Maybe. I'm going to Mr. Davis' for the weekend, if we get back early enough on Sunday maybe we can."

"Mr. Davis'? Are you ready for that?" His eyes narrowed, and there was a subtle hint of concern in his voice.

Instead of answering, I could only laugh.  I was given very little notice, but even if he had told me four months ago, I doubt even then I would be ready for it.

"I don't really have much of a choice." I shrugged. "It's not like things with my family are becoming any clearer."

"Yeah, I know.  I wish I could help."