Kisses and Bruises

My breath hitches and I'm yanked out of my sleepy state. A smile slowly tugs at my lips. My heart drums against my chest so loud that I'm afraid he can hear it.

Jared Smith wants me to be his girlfriend?!

My heart screams for me to yell yes, but my mind tells me to be careful. This is how you fall. He may be nice and sweet, but think about all the other girls he broke. I could be one with one simple word.

"Yes," I whisper.

Oh, Malia. Look what you've done. You've fallen for the bad boy.

*************************************

Sunlight flows through the window, making my eyes flutter open. I awake to me and Jared in the same position as last night. The sheets wrap around every inch of our tangled bodies.

His even, quiet breathing tells me he's still asleep. I close my eyes to fall back into my dreams, but a soft grumble shakes my stomach. I ignore it, but it soon shakes me again and I sigh k owing I'm not going to be able to fall back asleep.

I carefully pull the sheets off me and pry Jared's death grip around my waist. Cold air consumes me, for I'm still only in panties and a bra. Memories of last night come flooding back and shivers run up and down my spine.

I'm Jared Smith's girlfriend.

A smile spreads on my lips at my thoughts. I throw my legs over the edge of the bed, careful not to wake Jared. I tip toe over to the closest shirt on the floor and put it on. It turns out to be Jared's black shirt he was wearing yesterday.

Black is his favorite color.

His cologne fills my nostrils and bring a patch of the soft cloth closer to my nose. I can't get enough of the smell. His shirt hangs down just past my butt, covering most of me up.

I walk quietly over to the door and out into the small hall. I walk down the stairs and over to the kitchen. Now I can see the house more clearly in the day time. Big, tall windows let in the morning sunshine, warming the place up. There's a small island in the kitchen that was hard to see last night in the dim light.

I quickly look through the cupboards for a snack to satisfy my stomach. Captain Crunch, Raisin Brand, and Cinnamon Toast Crunch line one cupboard. Pancake mix and oatmeal are in another.

"Well, look who's up," a husky voice echoes in my ears. Whip around to find Jared coming down the stairs. His hair is all spiked up in an incredible sexy way. He has no shirt on and is wearing sweatpants over his legs.

I give him a sweet smile and turn my attention back to picking out food. Big hands find their way to my waist and pull me against Jared's rock hard chest. A gasp escapes my lips at the sudden movement. His hot, minty breath flumes over my ear as his head rests on my shoulder.

"You look really sexy in my shirt," he whispers. My breathing hitches. He seems to notice, because a small smile tugs at his lips.

"You gonna do anything about it?" I tease, raising an eyebrow.

"I most certainly am." And with that he flips me around so that I'm facing him. He presses me against the counter with his body, his hands on both sides of me. Jared's intoxicating smell makes me feel lightheaded. He leans his head in and I flutter my eyes closed waiting for his lips.

"After breakfast," he breathes against my lips. My eyes fly open to catch him chuckling at me. His words sink in and I lightly hit him on the shoulder. He smirks and reaches behind me to grab something from the cupboards.

You're going to regret that, Smith.

He backs up, setting the box of pancake mix on the island. I scowl at him and turn around to get a mixing bowl. Jared moves to the fridge to get out the rest of the ingredients.

"Do you want fruit with yours?" He asks before closing the fridge.

"Sure. Strawberries please," I answer, walking up to the island. He takes out the delicious berries, his back muscles rippling, and sets them on the counter. I see my quick opportunity for revenge and reach into the container with the pancake mix.

I turn on my heels and pour the handful of mix on top of Jared's dark brown locks. I rub it in for a few seconds, making sure it's covering most of his head. It takes about every muscle in my body not to break out laughing, but I can't help the HUGE grin on my face.

He slowly turns around, a scowl forming on his lips. His eyes, though, glitter with the familiar mischief. My grin lacks a little as I realize my actions are going to have consequences.

Uh oh.

I start to back away slowly, watching his every move. He quickly reaches to the side of him, where a carton of eggs has been set, and takes out an egg. I squeal and duck to hide behind the island. An egg just misses me and splatters on the tile floor.

Footsteps fill my ears and I hop up to run. But it was already too late. Strong hands made their way around my waist, turning me around and hoisted me off the ground.

"Ahhhh!" I screamed, half giggling. I wrap my legs around his waist, pressing our bodies closer. My arms loop around his neck as I hold on for dear life. He lifts me onto the counter, so he doesn't have to hold me up.

"You're going to pay for that, Archer," he whispers. I can't help, but smile at his remark. Warmth radiates off of him, sending shivers through me. He leans his head in closer, crashing our lips together. His hands run up and down my bare thighs and I run my hands through his hair. Our lips are dancing to a slow rhythm as our minds become one.

"Hey- Oh, wow. I did not want to see that!" a female voice splits the air. We break apart and his eyes fixate on the person behind me. As he does this, I can see the side of his face more carefully. A faint dark spot rests on his cheek bones. I don't turn around to see Payton, afraid she'll notice the blush creeping on my face.

My mind races back to the choir concert when I had first noticed the beach and blue mark. "Don't worry about it," he had said.

"Sorry," he calls to Payton.

"It's fine. I'll be in my room," she says, walking out of the room. My eyes study the spot and I finally reach out to touch it.

"Jared, where did you get this?" I ask, my voice soft. When my fingers gingerly touch it, he flinches a little and I pull away.

"It-it doesn't matter," he mutters.

"Yes, it does. Now tell me," I demand. He takes a big breath of air and let's it out slowly. "Tell me," I say, scooting closer to him on the island.

"Promise you won't get mad?" He asks, looking at his feet.

"Why would I get mad?"

"Because Jayden punched me."