twenty-three | you deserve this

Chapter Twenty-Three:
You Deserve This

SNUGGLED UP ON the couch in the media room with Ej on the last day of Winter Break was the ultimate way to end the holidays in Lucy's opinion. They were watching Beauty and The Beast in preparation for auditions when they returned to school, and Ej could tell that there was something off with Lucy when she didn't immediately sing along with Belle.

He was about to question it when Mr. Carlisle poked his head into the room and caught both of their attention, "Hey, I'm gonna make a Starbucks run, you guys want your usuals?"

"Yes please, Mr. C," Ej smiled warmly as Lucy nodded her head rapidly. She placed her hands on the back of the couch to turn around and face her dad more.

"Dad, can I also get a—"

"Chocolate croissant?" Carter smiled knowingly at her, Lucy nodded her head sheepishly. "Of course you can, LuLu. I'll be back then. You guys be safe, call me if you need anything!"

The two teenagers called a thank you to the man before turning their attention back around to the tv. Lucy leaned into Ej's side again, her head on his shoulder as he leaned down to place a kiss to her forehead.

"Hey, what's up with you? You always sing along when we watch this? I figured you'd be going all out singing along with auditions coming up," Ej questioned with a frown. Lucy looked up at him and his frown deepened when he saw the sad look on her face.

"I don't know if I'm gonna audition for a lead," she admitted softly.

"Of course not, you'll be auditioning for the lead," Ej poked her nose gently. Lucy shook her head and smiled sadly at him.

"No, I don't think so," she told him. Ej looked at her confusedly, pausing the movie suddenly and turning to look at her face on.

"Lucy, what's going on? Why aren't you auditioning for the lead? We all know you're gonna get it, everyone knows you're basically Belle," He insisted, tilting his head in concern.

"I just," Lucy let out a small sigh and looked down, "I honestly think you're the only person who thinks that. You heard everyone at the party the other night. Everyone was sure Nini would get it."

"Yeah, well, Nini's gone now, Luce. Even if she was here though, Miss Jenn would be dumb to not give you this role. You're literally made for it, you deserve this, Lucy. If anyone deserves this role more than anyone else, it's you," Ej told her honestly. Lucy smiled hopefully at him, her eyes full of adoration.

"You really think so?" she asked softly, she was so unsure of herself, but she looked so hopeful at his words, that it broke and melted Ej's heart all at once. He wished she could see how truly wonderful she was.

"I know so," he said, placing his hands on either side of her face. Lucy's smile widened slightly and she leaned in and quickly kissed her boyfriend on the lips, then cuddled into his side again.

"I love you," she said softly. Ej paused for a second, then a wide smile crossed his face. They had said it to each other so many times before, but it still made his heart swell whenever she said it.

"I love you too, Lulu," he mumbled, cuddling into her as well. He pressed play on the movie and was happy to hear Lucy promptly start singing along with Belle finally.