────── twenty-eight

ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ

═══ SECRECY ═══

ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ

MID-DAY ROLLED AROUND too slowly for her liking. Sitting in class, forced to remain seated in a room full of people who continuously eyed her with a mixture of curiosity and judgement, did nothing to sooth her anxious mind. Had she cared any less, she would have up and left. But the last thing she wanted to do was to upset her mother by misbehaving and drawing even more unwanted attention.

Soon as the bell rang to announce the end of the school day, Akiko shot out of her seat, yelled a quick goodbye at Hinata and a promise to call her later to talk about the details for their girls night, and she sprinted out of the classroom as though her behind had caught on fire.

"Excuse me! Sorry! Out of the way!"

She weaved her way through masses of students, shouting apology after apology. At the gates, a familiar ravenette was awaiting her, and as he leaned casually against his motorcycle he made no effort to contain his laughter at the sight of Akiko running toward him.

"You look like you've got bees in your bum," he joked and gave a carefree laugh. "Couldn't wait to see me?"

"Don't let your ego get too big, Baji," retorted Akiko as the corner of her mouth lifted into a smile. "Today, I get to see my mum again. I haven't seen her for a week."

At the sight of a crease forming between the brunette's eyebrows, Baji characteristically chuckled and patted her on the back, a confident grin on his face. "You worry too much. She'll be fine. Now, hop on. I know you want to. At some point you'll have to admit that there ain't many things that feel as great as riding on the back of my motorcycle."

Following his command, Akiko gave a breathy laugh and slung her arms around his torso. "It's not that bad."

"Not that bad, huh?" With one last glance over his shoulder, Baji let the engine roar and the motorcycle shot forward into traffic, forcing Akiko to tighten her hold on the ravenette if she wanted to avoid slipping off. She squealed in surprise, which quickly turned into a laugh as she felt the wind moving through her hair, imagining all her worries packed onto a tiny boat made of paper, floating away on the waves of wind, leaving her feeling light and lively.

"You're not sad that Chifuyu couldn't pick you up?" wondered Baji as they briefly stopped at a red light.

Akiko shook her head. "No. He said that Peke J hasn't been feeling well and that he's taking him to the vet. As long as the little guy gets well soon, I don't mind going a couple days without seeing Chifuyu."

"Besides, he's been spending so much of his time with me, I don't want to be a burden or turn into a reason for his performance in school to suffer," she added quietly.

The ride was silent from then on, both Baji and Akiko hanging onto the thoughts circling their minds.

Once they reached the Hoshino residence, Akiko swiftly slipped off the bike and offered Baji a sincere smile. "Thank you for the ride."

Just as she had turned her back on him, Baji stopped her. "Do you want to grab some peyoung yakisoba with me? You seem like you could use a friend right now."