76: Please I Do Not Want a Heart

"I and Apple will go out and scare the guards away."

"You cannot kill them!" Dream reminded the owl.

Night looked back to Dream with a surprised expression.

"Child, there are many ways to shoo them away, so why should I kill them? Just behave and wait."

Dream gave Night an unsure expression. Night just shrugged it's feathered shoulder. There is nothing it can say to put the mind of the girl at ease. Even if they decided to embark into this journey together, they barely grasp each other's personality and attitude.

Night turn into a shadow and soon disappeared. Dream and the two puppies were all ready to get out of the door as soon as Night opens it.

The door soon open. It was slowly opening.

However, Dream is confused as the owl usually brags it's achievements nonchalantly and in a fast pace. The door is opening way too quiet and slowly.

Is Night trying to be extra careful?

Dream decided to inch forward and poke her head out but was surprised when a man's hand covered her mouth.

Dream is extremely surprised.

"Hmm!"

"Shhss!" The man urge Dream to keep quiet.

"It is my turn to guard, and the other ones just left so please keep quiet."

'Howard!?'  Dream silently screamed to herself. She is utterly confused. Her eyeballs started scrolling the place around them. She is looking for Night. Dream then looked down and noticed Howard's shadow moving differently than the other shadows around them.

"Get ready and- hmmm... It looks like you are." Howard noticed that her and the puppies are ready to get out but just brushed it away. "Let's wait a bit more then I will show you the way out of the village."

Dream's eyes were wide open. As soon Howard took off his hand from Dream's mouth the first word that came out of her mouth is asking for answers.

"Wh-why?" That is the only word she uttered from her confusion.

"You... I mean..." Howard looked back and forth to Dream and the puppies. It seems the man is troubled by other things.

The next words he said made Dream more surprised.

"I do not know how to converse with royals."

"Wh-what?" Dream want to ask what Howard meant but it was cut off when he grabbed her hand.

"Let's go, we do not know if someone might decide to check up on us."

Howard pulled Dream out of the house that have no windows. The puppies who did not even bark or bared their teeth on Howard, happily followed them.

"I saw a wolf wandering around outside the village. Is that the mom of the two puppies?" Howard whispered.

'No, they are siblings.' But Dream decided to keep the answer to herself.

"I just spotted it earlier before coming here. Do you want to call out to her? And can you make sure she will not attack me? Also can you quietly do it?"

Dream then whispered Apple's name. The wolf right away poked out her head from the nearby bushes.

The two puppies ran towards to Apple. Apple looked wary but did not smell any evil from Howard and soon after joined them.

Howard is amazed how bigger wolves are compared to a regular dog. He felt scared but he have important matters to take care of.

"She is so big..." Howard admired the wolf but shook his head to refocus himself.