Chapter Seventeen: Jaime Annoyance Scale.

Chapter Seventeen: "Jaime Annoyance Scale."

ON FRIDAY, I RAN out of Roger Hall, almost skipping my way up Edgar Hill. If there was no way to skip up a hill, I managed to achieve it. My lips were hurting from smiling at my phone, tapping away at my screen in the group chat with me, Mariam and Yasmeen. My party-loving friend had already left to return home last night and I was hurriedly making my way to the bus stop to go see Yasmeen off.

I was all but singing my praises as I reached up the hill, slightly out of breath from the long trek I'd make sure I wouldn't take through the following week.

"Thank you universe, thank you, someone, thank you, anyone, for a break," I muttered, my fingers freezing almost numb at the cold but I was too happy to care. 

I wouldn't have to care about midterms anymore (except for one but bird course).

I wouldn't have to see Tweedledee One and Tweedledee Two in biomethods anymore.

I didn't have to see Ashton.

Freedom was so close but when my phone buzzed, my elation dropped with it.

"Jesus Christ," I muttered, reading the wordy paragraph from Laurence who wanted to see me in the music rooms.

The music rooms. That was down the hill I had trekked. That I would have to come back up eventually like I was scaling Mount Everest.

I grumbled under my breath, setting a brisk pace to meet my friend, and zipping my jacket even higher up as I faced the chill wind. My feet were leading me down the hill when I saw a familiar mop of dark hair at a distance.

My eyes locked with Clayton as he walked up the hill with a few of his own friends.

Clayton seemed to want to say something but then he shut his mouth quickly. I opened my mouth to speak, no clue what would come out. A greeting? How's business? How are midterms? Are you going home for the break back to your small and lovable family? 

But the cringe and embarrassment from Halloween night seized in my throat and then I was quick to avert my gaze, walking forward and ahead to Laurence in the music room.

The odd and awkward moment was recounted to Yasmeen in her room moments later. I sat in her desk chair as a loud laugh travelled into the room from the living room. Her youngest brother, Abdel, was giggling at a show I had put up on the TV for him and her parents were busy in the kitchen. They were the only ones in her family that had come along but she had more siblings and close cousins that were waiting for her arrival at home.

Yasmeen's face contorted into an obvious cringe that I knew matched my own.

"This is our fault." Yasmeen sighed. "We made you think that he liked you and you even kept saying that he doesn't. I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault," I said. "I have to talk to him eventually. There's such a strain and I'm pretty sure he's been avoiding me since our conversation didn't play out very well. It was so awkward. I don't want to ruin our friendship."

"You'll be fine," She said. "I'm kind of proud of you, though."

"Why?"

"Because you went up and confronted him even though you were wrong."

"I did it." I agreed. "I feel good."

"You should." She said. 

No, I didn't feel good. "I feel nauseous."

"Oh my God," Yasmeen muttered as her parents entered her room.

"Please," I begged, holding Yasmeen by the waist as she laughed. Her dad chuckled as her eight-year-old brother bounced into the room, pushing his way past his parents to jump on Yasmeen's bed. "Don't leave me."