Chapter 16:

A:N// I finally had time to write a chapter, lol. Thanks again for reading, and I'll try to update. I'm actually thinking of making some sort of schedule? But idk. Please enjoy!! ❤️

************************************

The thumping in my heart continued as I lied down on the soft bed that I was provided. It was morning by now, but I just couldn't get up. The clocked ticked, and my ears began to ring. I tried going back to sleep in the silence, but my brain would not settle down.

All I could think about was the guilt gnawing on my inside. Why couldn't I trust Arc? I dragged him into this situation and he was kind enough to help me. But....

I guess I was just paranoid. Constantly being afraid was the way I've always been, and I hated it.

As I was caught up in my useless mind, I noticed the light in the hallways had opened up, as a single glow lit up the rims of the door. I sat up, and walked over to it, hoping someone would be awake and maybe keep me company in my hour of misery.

However, when I opened the door, it wasn't anyone I could seek comfort from. Only answers.

".................."

"................................"

"Cody?"

My heart sped up, and I took a step back from the person in front of me. After all this, he finally shows up?

"...........David?"

A look of relief washed over him as he neared me, but I took a step back, a little afraid.

I needed a little explaining.

"Look, Cody, I-"

"You what? How are you involved in all of this? Tell me. Why did you send Jasper? Why are you here right now?"

David paused before nearing me, and I flinched. He looks a little distraught, but kept his lips sealed.

"Look.... I know your brother. I have since I first met you. And I was asked to keep an eye on you-"

I didn't let him finish as I flung my fist in his face.

"You- you- I trusted you! You were lying from the start?!"

"I didn't lie! I just couldn't tell you..... Look, your brother was just worried about you, okay?! He asked me to make sure you weren't hurt or anything!"

"No, he asked you to spy on me! I ran away for a reason! And you, you pretended to be there for me! I knew something was up! My brother would've tried harder to drag me back to that hellhole! Besides, he didn't save me when I needed him! I was constantly tortured by that asshole he set me up with! And he didn't help me when I was being locked up by a household of strangers!"

David was speechless. He stared at the ground and chewed on his bottom lip.

"I got into this mess for you. Did you forget that? When you came crying to me for your debt, I helped. Does he know about that?

David avoided my gaze, still. He looked desperate to speak, but his body didn't move.

"I came back to take you back home. To him." He finally said, and I was taken aback.

"What?"

Your brother wants you home. Now."

I instinctively jumped back, looking around for Arc, Peter, or Laura.

But no one was around, which was odd to me.

I tried to get behind the door to lock it after me, but David grabbed a hold of my arm. I winced as looked up into his eyes.