Chapter Thirty- Plan

The wind was calm, water still, air warm as Eboni sat at the very top floor of the tower.

The first sun has risen, the second peering over the horizon.

The tap of footfalls heading up the stairs alerted her to a new presence.

The familiar earthy scent of Kas enveloped her, bringing comfort to the eerie silence of morning on the barren land.

He sat next to her, joining her as she gazed out to sea.

"What was it you wanted to tell me yesterday?" Eboni asked, breaking the silence.

Kas shifted beside her, stalling in his answer.

She looked over at him. He was sat on the floor like her, shuffling uncomfortably while keeping his eyes fixed on the sea.

Eboni took a moment to look over her friend, the morning sun had illuminated his light brown, golden skin. His short hair had grown a little since they first met.

She preferred it longer, she mused.

His brown eyes shone as he finally turned to meet her gaze.

"I have wanted to tell you since our night on the boarder of Cerina- but there never seemed to be an appropriate time." He said rubbing the back of his neck nervously.

She stayed silent, waiting for him to continue.

"I am not engaged. I have no ties to anyone but my brother and his family. Ever since i saw you floating in the middle of the lake I knew had to meet you, be near you, protect you. But i am weak, i failed. We went to battle and it unleashed scars i cannot protect you from."

"I don't understand? Are you telling me that you don't want to fight with me or that i shouldn't fight at all." Eboni asked, hurt that he thought she had let her emotions weaken her.

"No!" He met her gaze fervently, staring into her eyes, her soul. "I am telling you that i like you- a lot- and that I will always fight beside you, for you. I'm sorry, i am terrible at sharing emotions, wording my thoughts."

Eboni sat in a stunned silence letting his words wash over her. He liked her? He wanted to protect her not because he thought she was weak but because he didn't want to see her hurting. Mentally or physically.

"Say something." He whispered, his eyes pleading with her.

"I don't know what I feel. About you, this fight, myself." She closed her eyes hiding her soul from the world.

"The possibility of ever being liked- loved even- in a romantic way has never been something open to me. Sisters of God's Land devote themselves to Elementi and no other. Yet after travelling, experiencing a different life, I feel like I can no longer call myself a Sister. The rules of God's Land- I have broken nearly all of them."

She opened her eyes, searching out Kas who was still sat by her side. His eyes holding an emotion she never thought she would see- understanding.

He stood up, drawing her up with him. They stood toe to toe, staring at each other before he leaned forward, wrapping his arms around her waist pulling her close to his chest.

She mimicked his actions, their warm embrace sharing so many unsaid- and said- feelings they both held.

"I will wait for you." Kas said, his voice soft, tender, loving.

Breaking apart he led her down the winding stairs to the bottom floor.

They were the first down. Eboni looked out of the window, smiling as she saw an orchard of fruit trees that had sprung from the ground during the night.