CHAPTER 17: CONFESSION

ALEXONDRA'S POV

Those eyes. Those clear eyes, staring deep at me.

I continued digging into my food as I look away from his menacing stare. His eyes are giving me shivers than the cold atmosphere in this cells.

"Tell me..." he whispered while slowly moving towards my direction. He entered the cell, approaching me. "What did you discover from Dark Salamander?"

I paused from eating and replied.
"He said he killed Takeru because of a brotherhood promise. It was so stupid to listen to him as if he has the right to be mighty."

"He escaped." Roberto remarked, making my eyes widen in surprise.

"H-How?" I turned to him.

"Who knows? Weeds are hard to kill after all." He remarked. Without me blinking, he closed the door of the cells after he entered. Now, there's only two of us inside the cell.

He didn't just closed it, he locked it!

"W-What are you d-doing?" I managed to ask, now we're together alone in one cell. I suddenly felt the urge of letting him stay with me, even for just one night.

He didn't reply instead, he sat beside me, a meter away from my position. He didn't turn to me.

I quickly went back to digging my food. Silence fill the air between us. None of us wanted to say a thing or speak of a thing, until I finished my food. I ate everything out of every container on the food tray. I finally covered my hunger.

"Done eating?" He asked out of the blue when I was drinking the last bottle of water.

"Y-Yes." I breath after drinking. I feel everything is alright until he threw something outside the cells.

I turned to look at him in horror.

"Why did you throw the keys outside?! Now how will you get out of here?!" I shrieked to see the cell keys outside.

"Now, let's talk about us..." he puffed in the air without any hint of hesitation. Wait... about us? What does he mean "us"?

"I had no choice, do I? Now we're stuck here in these cells till morning. It's your fault for throwing the keys outside." I blamed him. Then silence filled the air again.

I can hear two things in the cold atmosphere. His steady breathing and the pounding of my heart inside my chest, it is so fast that I want to throw out the food I just ate.

"Have you got over with Takeru, Alex?" he asked after that long silence. I gripped my palm.

"He lied to me. I loved him. He never said anything about his siblings or about his family. Why didn't he..." I can feel my voice trailing off. After that conversation with Brent about their promise, I had many questions for Takeru to answer but he'll never be here to tell me anyway.

"As his friend, I never knew about it too. All I know is that he's a changed man after he met you..." Roberto stated, making me face him. His face is also facing me as we stare at each other. "After I met you." he continued.

*

It feels like days has passed after he blurted his last words. It just took a couple of minute in silence when I looked away just like he did. I feel blushing on my both cheeks.

"Eight years ago, I met you, during my bachelor life." He started. "The mafia started to blossom during that time and all I want is satisfactory pleasure and unmeasured power. I was a jerk to be exact."

Yeah. I remembered Roberto and he was my ultimate crush back then.

"I changed women just like changing clothes and when I'm done with them, I discard them... just like what I did to you that I now regret." He stated, making me turn to him again. This time, he's looking at the opened window beside him, facing away from me.

"I don't think this is the right time for this--" He cut me.

"I was a total bastard back then. I never had any women in my life aside from my mother. I don't even know how to treat a woman. All I know is that they are people coming after money and sex. I was so immatured." he said and chuckled.

"You should stop---" he cut me again. His story started to annoy me.

"Until Takeru introduced you to me as his fianceė." He said and brushed his hair.

Now he's digging a grave that I buried long ago. I thought I forgot about what he did to me in the past, fooling me with another woman. I don't want to feel that pain anymore.

"I have many women to bed in the past but I never knew you will take it seriously. You even witnessed me fooling you that time. At first, I didn't care what you feel." he continued.

I'm stopping myself to kick him so he could stop talking.

"Then I knew you, Alexondra Grail. I will always tell Takeru not to put you in harm but I was such being a jerk." He muttered this time. "When the two of you are together, Takeru smile the brightest."

"I still hate you during that time you know." I butt in. Yeah, I really hate him especially when I learned that he is Takeru's best friend. My love for Takeru cured me from my anger to Roberto.

"I know. That's why I let Takeru be happy with you." he brushed his hair for the second time. "Then you got pregnant with the twins. You and Takeru aren't married yet that time."

I turned away. Yeah, Takamasa and Ryota are born out of marriage.

"Takeru was the happiest man alive back then to have a family with you." He stated with joy.

Yeah, Takeru really loved me and my boys.

"I didn't realized how jealous I was to him. I don't want to admit it but I was so jealous to see him smile everyday, as if his world are turning to you and the twins. I never accepted the fact that having a someone to love will make me stronger than having talented people to order around." Roberto seemed to be taking his time telling about the past.

"The twins are the reasons I forgave you years ago. I want my children to grow up with a sound mind." I cut in.

"Until that day came, when I realized. THAT SHOULD BE ME." I have in my mind.

I stood up in annoyance and turned to him.

"What do you mean by that?" I calmly asked.

"The man you should be kissing, having children with, and marrying... that should have been me." He stated and turned his head to look at me. "I WAS A FOOL TO LET YOU GO."

This time I started hitting him with my palms. How dare him say that as if nothing happened?!

"You bastard! How could you do this to your best friend? I love Takeru so don't go around saying that stupid thing!" I muttered angrily while hitting him. He's a jerk all this time.

He stood up and pulled me to a hug, stopping me from hitting him. I'm still doing everything in my strength to hit him.

"I'm really sorry for everything, Alex. Please forgive me." he whispered while hugging me so hard. I didn't realize that my tears are falling.

I pulled away and headed away from him. I stayed away as far as I can from him inside this tiny jail. I was simply wiping my tears.

"Then tell me in my face, Roberto..." I croaked. "Tell me... why will you go far, killing yourself to protect my boys? Why will you go that far to find me?" I sternly asked. I want to hear it from him. I want to confirm it.

He didn't respond. Instead, I felt him walking towards me, I can feel him behind me, standing.

"You want me to tell you an honest answer, Alex?" He asked.

I silently stood my ground and turned to face him. I faced him with my eyes, flowing with tears of sadness. I met his gaze as he look down at me. He is so tall, towering over me. I can smell his fresh mint breath and the cologne he's been using.

"I think this is the right time to tell you..." he whispered without removing his eyes that were locked to mine.

My heart is pounding in my chest, as if someone is hammering it. I waited for his reply and I feel my body shaking in refined nervousness.

"I love you, Alex."

***