Chapter 37 - Survival of the Fittest

Resh having finished off the two Adults moved in on the Juvenile Groles. None of them had moved. Quivering as they were from the fight and death of their parents, looking to them for protection. There would be no protection now. Resh moved in with the inevitability of an avalanche. Of Resh's spells Water Gun had come out of cool down and was ready to use again. Resh sent it into the ranks of terrified Juvenile Groles. They would attack soon, their instincts would kick in and this was a world where it was survival of the fittest. There was no time for hesitation. The water blasted through all the seven enemies in an arc and they tumbled to the ground gasping. Sonic Boom would have been good to use as there was an elemental advantage to using Air Magic on Earth creatures. Resh needed to get it stronger otherwise it would not be able to use it as a viable attack.

As it stood, the Water Gun blast shaved off over half the Juveniles' health. So as they marshalled their forces they were already at a disadvantage. Further readying attacks as it had done before. In quick-fire rounds, Resh was able to take dirt from the ground and turn it into projectiles to fire at the enemy. Only doing a quarter of a point of damage which shooting three times a second, in the 10 seconds that it took the Juveniles to go from cowering and protecting themselves to forming up and charging Resh had shot over 30 shots at them aimed at the same enemy, trying to take out at least one so that Resh had less to deal with at once. It didn't work and by the time they had reached the Earth Slime, there were still seven angry individuals baring down. One was limping up behind the rest but there were still seven all told.

They targeted Resh's blood vessels and neural pathways having seen that these areas were Resh's points of weakness. Resh could have easily chosen to remove those portions of its body but hesitated, it would lose the stat boosts that those organs and pathways gave if it did that. In some cases, this might be to its advantage but facing off against these enemies at point-blank range was not the time to be giving us its stat advantages. It would bear the additional pain and endure. This time there was much less strategy. Resh used its Shell of the River Crab to try to reduce the damage where it could but how much defence was possible when seemingly every part of your body was being pummelled? Resh continued to attack relentlessly while also being attacked in turn. Eventually after many its exchanged the final Juvenile Grole went down.

Resh slumped right there in the Grole den and set about Consuming the Groles present. It needed the Claws of the Grole and so Assimilate was its friend now. Resh just hoped it would be successful. It took Resh another 36 hours to Consume all the Groles.

YOU HAVE REACHED Earth Slime Level 2! CONGRATULATIONS! +1 Endurance, +1

Dexterity, +1 Strength. Talent Earth Born has increased to Earth Born +1, Earth Resistance +10%

YOU HAVE REACHED Earth Slime Level 3! CONGRATULATIONS! +1 Strength, +1 Resistance, +1 Dexterity. Talent Earth Born +1 has increased to Earth Born +2, Earth Resistance +10%

You have Consumed 740g of Adult and Juvenile Groles! Your Weight has increased to 2,201.25g; your Volume has increased to 880.50cm3!

Consume has increased to Level 20!

You have Assimilated 2 Field Grole and can now choose what to Assimilate from the Field Grole. Would you like to Assimilate the Paws, Nose, Mouth or Tail? If you do not choose then an option will be selected at random!

You have chosen Paws. You have gained the Paws of the Field Grole! Your skills Strong Legs of the Squitter and Paws of the Field Grole are compatible and as such have merged to form Digging Legs! You will gain +500 Exp for this adjustment. Digging Legs increase your carrying capacity from 2kg to 5kg.