Ch. 1

Hermione whimpered as the knife was edged closer against her throat. She stared at Harry and Ron with wide eyes, silently pleading with them to cooperate.

"I said drop them!" Bellatrix demanded in a shrill voice.

"Alright!" Harry and Ron dropped the wands that were in their hands, both of them watching Bellatrix and Hermione with a mixture of fear and anger.

"Draco, pick them up," Bellatrix ordered, nodding towards the blond that had been standing off to the side with his parents, silently watching everything that had happened.

Draco hesitated before walking towards Harry and Ron, avoiding their glaring eyes as he knelt down to grab the two discarded wands. He glanced at the girl being held hostage in his aunt's arms and a twist of guilt ran through him as he returned to where he was standing.

"Good!" Bellatrix leered. "Cissy, tie these heroes up again. The Dark Lord will certainly have his pleasure in punishing them himself. And Greyback, I'm sure he will allow you the girl after what you've done tonight."

Draco's head snapped up and he stared at her with wide eyes before looking at Hermione. Hermione's eyes were squeezed shut as if she were trying to hold back tears, and Draco's hand gripped tightly around the wands he had just picked up.

A sudden squeaking noise caught everyone's attention and Bellatrix looked up just in time to see the chandelier suddenly detach from the ceiling.

She shrieked and pushed Hermione away from her, jumping out of the way as the chandelier fell onto the very spot they were previously standing. Hermione stumbled as Bellatrix forcefully pushed her away and she fell against the wall, her head making contact with the stone and causing her to fall to the ground unconscious.

"Expelliarmus!"

The wands flew from Draco's hand but he paid them no mind. Immediately lunging for Hermione's unconscious body, he grabbed her hand and in the midst of the ensuing chaos he quickly disapparated them both away.

She was awake before she had opened her eyes. If it weren't for the deep, aching pain in her muscles, she would have thought she was back home. But as the memories came flooding back to her, she quickly opened her eyes and looked around in a panic.

Wherever she was, it wasn't Malfoy Manor; it wasn't home either. As she slowly sat up, a new wave of pressurized pain hit her head and she closed her eyes again, breathing in deeply and holding her head in her hand. After the pain subsided she finally looked around; it seemed as though she was in a cottage. There was a small dresser in the room and through the window she could see waves in the distance. Did Harry take her to Shell Cottage?

Pulling her legs over the side of the bed, she slowly stood up, testing her balance before walking over to the window. Grey clouds covered the sky and the waves were slowly washing up onto the beach below; it was a beautiful scene that helped calm her nerves slightly.

She thought she heard footsteps on the other side of the door and as she turned, the door opened. But the person who entered the room then was the last person she expected and she let out a shocked and angry gasp.

"Malfoy?!" She backed away into the dresser against the wall, glaring at him. "Get the hell away from me!"

She looked around quickly for her wand but her eyes snapped back up to him as she saw him move, seeing him hold his hands up but not moving towards her. His expression was calm, and she thought she even saw a hint of worry in his eyes.