SIXTEEN

Word Count: 1455

~Avia

I stare out the window, brooding.

"Something on your mind?"

Flinching, I whirl around, facing Kadrick. He stands across the room, looking at me with a raised brow. Ever since I left for the mission, he hasn't been looking at me the same. I know it bothers him seeing me going back to Isaiah so many times, especially when he has witnessed it himself, but I didn't expect him to still harbour those feelings when we aren't even talking about him.

Even when I'm not looking at Isaiah, I'm thinking about him. It's plaguing me, that there is some kind of connection between us. It could just be that Isaiah is naturally seductive, that he's mysterious and dangerous and forbidden.

Or maybe it's more than that...I don't want to think about it anymore.

"Just thinking about Isaiah," I admit, turning away from the window. There's nothing back darkness out there anyway, the city practically dead in these parts.

Kadrick frowns. "What's there to think about?"

"I'm just trying to figure him out, is all," I sigh. He strides toward me, arms crossed over his chest. Sometimes an entirely different persona overtakes Kadrick whenever Isaiah is mentioned. He stands taller, straightens his shoulders and acts defensively at every opportunity.

"He's a selfish, arrogant Alpha who only cares for himself and his wretched family," Kadrick reminds me, tilting his head in a way that dares me to say otherwise.

"I know that," I respond quietly.

Isaiah is a terrible person. It's something I've known for most of my life, when his father came into my village and burned it down, killing my entire family. He has passed laws similar to what his father did, and made public announcements to secure how he feels about his own Pack and people. But meeting him in person has revealed more to me that I thought I would witness.

"You're not starting to doubt this mission, are you?" Kadrick's eyes are narrowed on me. I often wonder if he would still be with me if I decided to step down from the rebellion. Malin likely wouldn't be my friend, but what about my own boyfriend?

"What? No, of course not," I dismiss, reaching out to grab his hands, clutching them tightly. "I just need to get it over with, so I never have to see him again."

"Malin will freak out if she finds out you can't do this anymore..." Kadrick reminds me.

I shake my head at him. "Kadrick, everything is fine. You're right about Isaiah, okay?"

He sighs through his nose, but eventually nods, shoulders deflating. "I love you, Avia."

"I love you too."

***

Kenna has her arms folded over her chest, glaring in front of her at Malin.

"Who is this?" Malin demands, holding a photo in front of her face.

Kenna sighs, rolling her eyes. Her resolve has weakened in all the weeks she has been in here, still hating us all beyond belief. I can't blame her, we did kidnap her after all. Thankfully, she still writes letters for us to send back to her family so they don't get suspicious. She doesn't do it willingly though. Malin is disturbingly good at persuasion...

"What's the point of this?" Kenna questions irritably. We have been trying to educate her on the purpose of the rebellion, but she doesn't want to hear it. I've encouraged Malin to give it up, but she's wary about releasing Kenna without her sympathising with our cause enough to not cause trouble.