58: The Astrologer 12

"Emergency, emergency!"

Late at night, a message was posted on the Miskatonic app.

【Request for Help】Unidentified alien species appears in New York, USA

@Investigator Saugus: 【picture】【picture】

On the other side of the planet it was the middle of the night, but all of North America still had the sun on its back. Only the metropolis of New York City, known as the city that never sleeps, was under a curtain of darkness, as quiet as if it were entirely depopulated.

Then the empty streets suddenly flooded with horrible monsters. They walked with their backs bowed and their hands stretched in front of them. They were like zombies from a post-apocalyptic movie, a sight that made one's skin crawl.

"Ghouls?"

Several investigators who were sitting late at night in MU frowned.

"How could ghouls show up so brazenly on the streets of New York?"

Hoshino Kota took a sip of coffee as he walked into the conference room in his pajamas and slippers. When he saw the image on the projector, the scruffy uncle sharpened his gaze.

Every investigator who'd taken a biology class was familiar with ghouls.

There was a large population of ghouls in the Dreamlands. They worshipped Nodens, the Lord of the Abyss, and lived in a subterranean region beneath the main continental plate of the realm. Their lair was capable of moving between the real world and the Dreamlands.

MU had a good relationship with ghouls as well as nightgaunts, the result of establishing friendly diplomatic relations. Every year, MU sent a research team to explore the depths of the Dreamlands. If they encountered any danger along the way, ghouls would offer assistance. That was one reason the ghouls' language was offered as an optional course at MU. Occasionally professors would take students to interact with ghouls in person.

Compared with the ghouls in the Dreamlands, real-world ghouls were far more dangerous.

Ghouls in the real world lived in the underground sewers of major cities. Generally speaking, they wouldn't appear in front of people voluntarily unless they'd made a contract with cultists or witches, in which case they would carry out their orders.

"The time the stars will return is drawing near. Maybe the ghouls have been summoned by their Lord."

Darwin stepped into the conference room with a tweed coat hastily draped over his body. There was a serious expression on his face.

"None of that matters. What matters is what the US authorities intend to do."

Anastasia put away her fan. The Russian beauty had a sarcastic look on her face. "Such a big disaster in New York, yet they refused help from the occult world. What are those politicians thinking?"

Every nation had an agreement with the occult community. Whenever an abnormal phenomenon happened around the globe, the first requirement was to report it to the Spire Council.

And yet, after such a terrible event happened, the first choice of U.S. authorities was to hide the news and warn investigators stationed in New York.

If an investigator hadn't been attacked by ghouls and given no choice but to post the story on the Miskatonic app, it was likely the occult world would still be in the dark.

"Those damn politicians!"

Another investigator had a gloomy expression. "Don't they know how many innocent citizens will die as a result? Those are ghouls! They can assimilate human beings!"