Chapter 34

Ananya Prasad

I am floating.

It feels like heaven.

I was enjoying the warmth when suddenly I felt like I am falling.

When I opened my eyes, I am in his arms, my arms around his neck, his face just inches from my face and we both are on the staircase.

I am just blank.

I couldn’t remember for my life how I ended up here in his arms.

It felt as if time stood still.

Nobody moved. Even the air stood still.

This is the first time I am observing his face this close. With his frameless spectacles, messy hair he looks like a perfect nerd. His long nose fits his face perfectly. He has light  stubble covering his cheeks making him looking sexy  and his eyes are looking as if he is searching something in my face.

That’s when I felt something poking my back.

No, it is not what you are thinking. It is too broad to be that.

That’s when I realised it is his knee. It is supporting my derriere from falling down. I am literally sitting in his lap and hugging him.

My face became red as soon as I realised the position. He too immediately removed his hand under my knees and helped me stand and then left his other hand supporting my shoulders.

We both didn’t know what to do. He then cleared his throat and started explaining the situation.

“You were in deep sleep. I tried waking you up, but you didn’t woke up. I was just taking you to the room when I lost my footing and almost slipped. Sorry.”

“It’s okay sir", I replied to him not knowing where to look.

He started climbing the stairs leaving me alone.

“Sir?” I called him.

He stopped and looked at me questioningly.

“Your dinner?”, I asked him hesitantly still numb from the incident before.

“I ate at the hospital with the directors. Did you eat?” he counter-questioned me.

“Yes sir. I ate with Amit dadu. He is sleeping now", I told him.

“Did he take his medicines?”

“Yes sir. I gave him".

He nodded and started climbing the stairs again, more like running  away.

I don’t know why my legs are feeling like jelly.

He stopped once he reached the first floor landing and called me. I raised my head to look at him.

“Why are you standing there? Don’t you want to sleep?”, he asked me.

I blinked and answered, “Uhh...I will keep the dinner in the fridge and come"

I literally ran from there. I leaned on the kitchen wall to calm my heart. Why the hell is it beating so fast?

How can I face him now? I was literally sitting in his lap. This is the first time we both touched each other. We were always at respectful distance to each other, especially after the marriage, we made sure that there is always at least three feet between us. It’s like an unspoken pact between us. We never broke the pact even while sleeping.

Not to mention the fact that sleeping alone with him when there is no one in the house will be very weird. Should I go to the guestroom and sleep?

“What are you doing standing like that?”

I jumped and turned to see the devil there. God. I gave him the correct name. I didn’t even heard him coming here.

“Umm...I was just checking....ummm....doors...whether the doors are all locked?”, I answered hesitantly.

“By standing in the kitchen?” he raised his eyebrows and asked.

“I mean I checked the doors already, now I am checking the kitchen", I defended myself.

“You were gone for so long. So I came to check. Come, let’s go and sleep. We need to go to Misha’s engagement tomorrow."

“Yes, sir."

Am I the only one feeling so flustered and awkward?

Why is he not affected?

Or is he just good at hiding his feelings?

I simply followed him to his room and lied down on the bed. We both let out a sigh simultaneously and looked at each other.

“Good night", he greeted me and turned other side.

“Good night, sir".

When I woke up the next morning he was already gone and I spent my hard earned week off catching up my sleep and talking with Amit dadu, my family and Sid.

I just woke up after my afternoon nap and realised that it is almost six in the evening. There is no sign of devil. Did he forget that we have to go to Misha’s engagement?

Just then the door opened and he entered the room and smiled at me.

“Hi", he greeted me casually.

“Good evening, sir", I greeted him formally.

He shook his head and let out a sigh while going to the washroom.

I went down to get him his coffee. By the time I came back with his coffee he was sitting in front of his laptop and talking on phone about some business deal of supplying surgical instruments.

I kept his coffee on the desk and was about to leave, but he held my hand and stopped me.

I raised my eyebrows questioningly at him. He gestured me to sit down. I sat down on the empty chair.

Why is he being touchy with me? Before he used to tap on the table to grab my attention when he was talking on the phone.

He pushed his laptop towards me and signed me to look at it.

When I looked it seems as it is a report on different suppliers of different surgical instruments.. I was immediately fascinated by the report.

Wow. I never thought that there is a business aspect in surgical instruments.  I always thought that we will but it in some medical store. Boy, there is a big process.

I don’t know how much time passed but I felt a gaze on me. I looked up to see him looking at me.

Something is different in his gaze. I am feeling uncomfortable seeing his eyes. I never felt uncomfortable with him. But now, I don’t know. Something changed. The way he is looking at me is changed. I am sorry. I don’t know how to read eyes, but I can tell the vibe. It is different.

“This is the report on at least  ten suppliers.  We got this information as the response to our tender for supplying contract. I need to make a summary and suggest at least two suppliers. I cannot do it alone. Will you help me?” he asked me with puppy eyes.

Did he always make puppy faces?

“Umm...we need to go to Misha’s engagement?” i asked him hesitantly.

“Yeah, we will work after coming from there?”

“Yes, sir"

He gave a full blown smile, “Thank you", and he got up and tapped my shoulder.

Again he is touching me. I know it is just a friendly touch. But it is not like him.

“We will start in forty minutes. Is that time okay for you to get ready?”

“Yes, sir"

I sat there feeling something crawling or flying, I don’t know, in my stomach.

********

Hi, my devils,

How are you all?

I know there is a long gap from the last update. I was busy in my Ph D work and then brought my kid to Dubai from India. She is one year old. She took a lot of time adjusting here. Hence the delay.

God. Raising kids is not at all easy. I barely had time to look at my phone for half an hour. I can only look at it while she is asleep.

From now on I will try to update with a max gap of three to four days.

Anyway, how is the update?

Please let me know in the comments.

Don't forget to vote.

Have a great day.