2

[Chapter two]

"—I don't know, I feel like she may be seeing someone behind my back. But it's probably nothing. I'm just overthinking things, aren't I?"

Clara-Grace twirls her pen between her fingers as her friend rambles on, the voice of their Psychology lecturer becoming a dull noise in the background. Her head rests on her free palm as she studies the way her friend keeps scrunching her face up, as if invalidating her concerns.

"No, you're not." She tells her, removing her head from her hand and leaning back in her seat, still twirling her pen with her other hand. "That's one, big ass, bright ass, red flag right there."

Leilani chews on her bottom lip and picks at her fingernails, before rolling her eyes and throwing herself back in her seat and sinking down. "Shit, this girl got me fucked up."

Gray snorts, reaching down to pat her friend's head comfortingly.

Clara-Grace had met Leilani four years earlier during their college orientation, though Leilani is a year older than Gray, they're both in the same grade due to the former taking a gap year after her senior year of high school. The new coming freshman students had been split into groups based on what degree they'd be studying and they just happened to be taking the same course, which is Social Work. Leilani had chosen it because it's what seemed the most appealing to her out of everything, but Clara-Grace had chosen it for completely different reasons. She wants to be able to help children who don't have very good home lives—like her.

"No shit." She retorts, smiling innocently when Leilani throws her a glare. Dark skin, coily black hair with red highlights ending at her collarbone, and chocolate brown eyes. 'How could anyone cheat on her hot ass?' Clara-Grace thinks to herself. "I can kill her, if you want."

"You're not killing her." Leilani punches her friend's thigh lightly. "What do I do?"

"Break up with her."

"Gray." she gives her a pointed look and said girl huffs slightly.

"Talk to her." She advises. "And if you still feel like she's cheating, drop her ass. You've been dealing with her bullshit since high school. You don't need someone who makes you question their loyalty towards you."

Leilani Davis had realised very early on that she had no romantic or sexual feelings towards the opposite gender. Despite that, she had only come out to her parents when she became involved in a serious relationship with her current girlfriend, Sarah, during her junior year of high school, and decided to finally introduce her.

Her mother was happy for her, glad that her daughter felt she could tell them.

It didn't sit well with her father.

The voicing of his 'concerns' and disgust after Sarah had gone home after dinner is what led to a strained relationship with him, which pushed her to move out as soon as she turned eighteen. She's twenty-two now and she hasn't talked to him since.

But damn, is the girl living her best life.

But damn, does Clara-Grace wants to uppercut him just thinking about everything Leilani had told her.

"Yeah, I'll talk to her tonight." Leilani sighs, sitting up in her seat and following suit as Gray packs away her things when the lecture finally ends. Two hours is way too long to be sitting in a lecture theatre with people you don't even know or like. They walk out of the door at the back of the lecture theatre, Gray's backpack thrown over on shoulder haphazardly and Leilani digging through her large handbag for her car keys. "What're you doing now?"