Chapter Twenty Three

~Buckys POV~

I woke up slowly, squeezing the warm blanket to my chest as I blinked, lazily opening one eye to scan the room.

The blanket I was cuddling wasn't entirely a blanket. Amelie was wrapped up in it, her hair sticking upright onto the pillow. In her sleep she shuffled back, her body curling into mine as I readjusted my hold on her, stroking her arm and kissed the top of her head that I could reach.

She had set several alarms for this morning, to ensure D'Arcy would have breakfast and the day could begin.

Owen, David and River had spent the night in their Grandfathers old place after the funeral a few days ago, but would be returning to stay with us next week. David explained that it was his way of honouring him, and we were all happy with this arrangement.

Which meant that the people who were usually filling my house with noise, wouldn't be here today.

Amelie was unaware, however, that I had organised for Sam to babysit D'Arcy today. I lent him a key when he got here earlier this morning to pick D'Arcy up. I explained to her that she would be spending the evening with him at the Tower whilst me and her Mum spent the day together.

It was to make up for the birthday I missed, along with the date nights we had lost recently. After she began softly snoring last night, I turned all her alarms off, and hoped that after I'd handed D'Arcy over to Sam and gone back to bed, that we would both wake up naturally, but with time for us to complete the rest of the tick list I had prepared for the day.

She sighed softly, stretching slowly, arching her back as she reached her fingers above her heads, wiggling them as she woke up. "Morning," she mumbled, and I watched as she brushed a hand over her face, the other reaching out to pick up her phone.

And then -

"Fuck! Oh shit! I'm so late, Bucky get up! We need to go! D'Arcy! We need to wake her up right now."

"Amelie, doll, hey look at me," I held a hand on her arm, gently easing her to lie on her back, "Sam took her."

"What?"

"Happy birthday?"

Her confused frown crinkled into a confused smile, her eyes scanning mine as she reached her arms to hook around my neck, "what do you mean?"

"I missed your birthday," I leant down, tracing my lips over her neck as she sighed happily, sinking down into the pillow, "and you deserve so much better than that."

"Bucky, I said it was okay. You got me flowers that evening."

I shook my head, propping myself onto my elbows so she could see my sincerity. "You deserve better."

She gulped gently, and her finger tangled into my hair. "I love you." She whispered.

I smiled, meeting her lips halfway as she rose up, her arms wrapping around my back, pulling me down onto her.

"So the house is empty?" She whispered, her voice slightly raspy as her eyes met mine.

I nodded, "it's just us."

Her eyes sparkled, her hand slipping under the blankets.

This was not the first step I had planned.

But who was I to deny my wife of pleasure.

***

The shower had been fun. Bubbles everywhere, the floor covered in splashes of water as we washed each others hair and sang loudly into shampoo bottles.