6. CONVERSATIONS IN THE DARK

Before it's time to head to work, Jimin manages to complete some of his assignments at Taehyung's place. His classes are demanding as is but time feels limited with all that he's juggling outside of lessons. He tries to convince himself that it's good practice if he wishes to open up his own business one day but he isn't so sure the affirmation is effective.

Just like usual, the club is hounded with customers. It's Friday night which means it's the busiest time of the week. And at times like these, Jimin is thankful to be working behind the counter because it's the least crowded place on the floor. Granted with the current traffic, his abilities are put to the test. How quickly he can clean a glass, how quickly he can fill one and how patient he can be with a superfluity of unpredictable customers. Sometimes, it feels more stressful than school work. He's just thankful that Taehyung is working with him tonight. And of course, naturally, Hoseok had to tag along.

"How can you do this and school at the same time?" the pink-headed male asks, downing some of his drink.

Amid the chaos, it's difficult for Jimin to hear but with practice, he manages to make it out. "It's tricky but I've been making it work," he yells over the music, wiping down a glass.

As much as Jimin appreciates Hoseok's company, he can't be bothered to make much small talk. He isn't interested in anything more than just sleeping with him and so getting to know the kind of person that he is would just be a waste of time. Yeah, maybe it's shallow of him. But Jimin isn't exactly equipped to take on any anything else. Whether that be friendships, relationships or any kind of thing that has the potential of being time-consuming or heartbreaking.

After Jimin is done serving a few more customers, Hoseok speaks up once again. "You told me that if I play my cards right, I might get the chance to see what you're hiding beneath all of those layers. So tell me, beautiful, what might that entail?"

Jimin lets out a heavy sigh, however it's concealed by the music and rowdy chatter. "I need to focus, Hoseok Hyung," he responds, taking the order of another customer who sits next to the pink-headed male.

Hoseok doesn't say much, if anything at all. He steps away from the bar counter and wanders off and Jimin wonders if he's gone off to look for someone else who might sleep with him. A small part of Jimin feels guilty for brushing him off so easily after being such a tease that night. But he doesn't have the time to think it over and continues serving customers.

About half an hour later, Taehyung comes over to him and holds out his phone. Jimin glances at it, noticing that it's been muted. "It's your landlord, Min. Take it to the back and I'll cover for you." The tone of his voice rises to beat the music.

"Okay. Thanks, Tae." Jimin reaches for Taehyung's phone and takes off, toward the back door leading to the alleyway, reprimanding himself for still not getting a new one.

The door closes behind him, finally some peace and quiet. He takes it off of mute and holds the phone to his face, his other hand settling on his hip. "Hello?"

"Hello, is this Park Jimin, owner of apartment room number twenty-four?"

"Yes, that's me," Jimin replies, holding back a frustrated whine. Of course his landlord had to call during work.

"Apologies for the delayed call. From what I understand, your apartment room had been broken into. And upon further investigation, it's come to my attention that you're far behind on rent payment. I've posted an eviction notice and sent one virtually by email. I'll be in touch if you fail to meet the guideline requirements."

Jimin opens his mouth to speak but nothing comes out. The line dies, and as does a little piece of him, it feels like. He slumps against the steps and places the phone to the side, gripping at his hair. It was only a matter of time, no matter how shitty of an apartment complex it was. He always managed to just get by but lately, he hasn't been able to meet the deadlines. He's going to lose his place because there's no way in hell he'll be able to pay off his debt. And realistically speaking, his landlord isn't going to try and reason with him and reach an agreement. He's going to keep his eyes out for a reliable tenant.