Chapter 10

After agreeing to go to the Host Club after school, Reiko felt that her afternoon classes that day had passed much too quickly. She could already imagine Tamaki's glare when he'd see her walk in and was not looking forward to dealing with the male's theatrics.

     When the bell rang, Ayame stared at her for a moment. The two of them had a silent conversation as she told her to wait to start packing up until Kyoya and Tamaki had left the room. Once they had, the girls packed up their things and proceeded toward the Host Club together.

     As they walked, Reiko noticed the dark-haired female was becoming increasingly agitated. She tugged at the ends of her hair, and her hands tapped nervous beats against the skirt of her dress. When they arrived at the doors of Music Room 3, they stopped.

     "If you don't want to go in, you don't have to," Reiko informed her.

     Ayame looked at her and shook her head slightly. "It's not that..."

     The silver-haired girl stared at her, patiently waiting for her to share her thoughts.

     "It's just... what if I end up actually liking that idiot?" she asked.

     "Then you like him... you can decide whether you want to or can act on those feelings or not. You might like him but find that being in a relationship with him isn't beneficial or worth the risks that come with courtships," she told her.

     Her classmate nodded in understanding. "You know. I don't think I could deal with being in a relationship with him."

     Reiko shrugged. "I suppose you won't know for sure until you enter. Let's head in, shall we? I'd rather not stay longer than intended."

     Ayame took a deep breath and nodded, signaling Reiko to open the doors.

     Because they arrived fashionably late, there were no petals, nor was there a bizarre introductory speech. (Sakura had warned them this was how the Host Club opened each day and worried it would scare Ayame off, so she told them to wait a few minutes). A few people glanced at them when they entered, but most ignored their presence as they concerned themselves with trying to get the attention of their favorite hosts.

     Not knowing exactly how to go about "requesting" a host, Reiko waved Haruhi over. Thankfully, the brunette wasn't entertaining anyone then and was able to quickly make her way toward them. To say she was surprised to see the two second-years there was an understatement.

     "Hey Reiko, what's up?" she asked.

     The silver-haired girl looked over at Ayame, who had suddenly become unwilling to tell Haruhi what their business there was and whose gaze was trained on the floor.

     Reiko sighed and shook her head. "Hey, Haruhi, my apologies for bothering you. I was just wondering how we could get a seating with Tamaki," she said with a casual smile as though she had asked about how her day was going.

     The brunette's jaw dropped in surprise. It was already bizarre to think that the second year wanted to partake in club activities, but Tamaki was the absolute last person she thought she would request.

     "It's not for me," she explained, noting the first year's expression. "Ayame's a bit curious about how things work around here, and Tamaki supposedly has the highest ratings. I'm merely escorting her."

     "Oh, I get it. Well, usually we have a reservation policy. Guests have to sign up for an appointment on the club's website to sit with one of the hosts, but I think Tamaki-senpai had a cancellation, so it should be fine."