Chapter 12

Between her classes, preparations for her societal debut, and working for her father, the week passed all too quickly for Reiko. Before she knew it, it was already the end of the school day on Thursday, and she'd almost forgotten about the study arrangements she'd made with Kyoya Ootori. It would've slipped her mind entirely had it not been for her chauffeur confirming that she would be staying at school longer than usual through a text message. Having thankfully checked her phone and received that fortunate reminder of her rendez-vous, the silver-haired teen set off for the school's fifth library as soon as she'd finished gathering her things. She didn't stop to chat with her classmates, she'd never been one to socialize after class since she was always too busy.

     As always, the fifth library had few students. Today only a handful of third years were found on the main floor studying or enjoying the peace and quiet. None of them even looked up when Reiko walked through the doors. She sat down at a table by the window and began taking out her chemistry notebook and textbook. In a (rare) lapse of judgment, both she and Kyoya had forgotten to specify a time for their meeting. She didn't know whether he would show up immediately after class as she had, or if he would go to the Host Club and then come down to the library. Rather than sit twiddling her thumbs, she decided to review a bit while she waited.

     The raven-haired male entered the library only five minutes later. He too had intended to leave immediately after class, but Tamaki had prevented him from doing so as he'd launched into a long-winded speech about inner beauty.

     He'd spotted her as soon as he'd walked through the doors.

     Hearing the door click, Reiko looked up at him and smiled in greeting.

     For a moment, Kyoya stopped. The light from the window was hitting her hair just right, making it seem like she was glowing, and her grey eyes looked a bit bluer today, like the sky as it cleared up after a thunderstorm. Her slight smile was natural, easy, and like everything else about her it was effortlessly elegant. Swallowing, he adjusted his collar slightly as he sat down next to her.

     "I apologize for being late," he said.

     She shook her head dismissively. "It's fine."

     Kyoya nodded and looked down at her notebook. "You've already started?"

     "We never specified an exact meeting time, so I thought I'd study by myself until you came," she told him.

     The raven-haired male raised an eyebrow curiously. "You could have messaged me so we could work out a time. I hope you didn't clear your entire afternoon schedule for this."

     "We've never exchanged numbers. Besides, I didn't have all that much to do today so it's of no consequence." Reaching into her bag, the silver-haired teen pulled out a phone and opened it up to her contacts page. "Here," she said, sliding it towards him.

     Reiko's willingness to exchange numbers caught him off guard. Surely she was aware of how much information he could access through just the number. After being so determined to keep her personal information a secret from him, it was almost dissatisfying to be given a puzzle piece unprompted.

     Noting his expression, Reiko smiled knowingly and rested her chin in her palm. "It's a burner phone," she explained, her eyes twinkling with amusement. "You didn't think I'd give you my personal number, right? I thought you knew me better than that, Kyoya."

     At that, Kyoya couldn't help the small smile that stretched across his lips. "I'd expect nothing less," he said, taking the device and sending himself a short message so he could save her number.