Chapter 18

The weather was dreary the next morning, which was unusual for the city during the spring. Reiko stared out the window, bored as she waited for the last few minutes of homeroom to tick by. A light drizzle clouded the view of the garden from the window, and it reminded her of the times she'd spent staring out the window of her childhood home as she waited for her dad's car to pull up into the driveway. A feeling of nostalgia washed over her at the memory, causing her to miss the man that had raised her. "I should call him soon," she thought.

     "Good morning, Reiko dear!" Tamaki exclaimed, prancing across the room to her desk.

     Reiko sighed, slightly annoyed that her reminiscing had been interrupted. "Good morning, Tamaki. Is there something I can help you with?" she asked, wanting to quickly go back to being lost in her thoughts.

     The blonde looked down at her and smiled with knowing amusement as though he were privy to a joke she didn't understand. "The Host Club would like to invite you to a special lunch in the club room today!" he announced with a twirl.

      The silver-haired female looked at him for a moment trying to gauge whether his invitation was sincere. "I'd wanted to talk to Ayame about the upcoming electives exam though," she thought. "Is there something you would like to discuss?" she asked.

     He nodded vigorously. "Yes! We have important matters to discuss with you!"

     Reiko nodded in understanding. "Does it have to be during lunch? I have a prior engagement..."

     "I understand it was last minute on our part, but this is the only time before classes end that all of the hosts will be together, and it is imperative that we have this conversation with you as a group!"

     She thought for a moment. If it was really so important that it needed to be discussed as soon as possible, it was better to get it done during lunch. She had scheduled a business dinner for 5 o'clock that evening and could not afford to run late because she was waiting to talk to the Host Club. "Alright," she decided.

     "Excellent! Wait for us after morning classes! Kyoya will walk you to the club room while I get the others!" Tamaki exclaimed.

     Reiko briefly glanced at the ravenette sitting next to her. He had his nose buried in a book, but she knew better than to think he wasn't paying attention to their conversation. Kyoya was the type to always be aware of his surroundings, even if it looked otherwise.

     Hours passed as the platinum blonde worked through her morning classes. When the bell rang for lunch, she nearly sighed in relief at the chance to get some food and decompress with her friends. Remembering that she'd agreed to eat with the Host Club in Music Room 4 for some sort of meeting, however, she sighed in resignation. "So much for getting a break," she thought.

     "Are you ready to go?" Kyoya's voice called to her coolly. He stood right in front of her desk with an expectant look on his face.

     Reiko nodded and gracefully slid out of her seat to follow him out of the classroom.

     They walked beside each other, capturing the attention of all the students they passed as they strolled down the hallway. It wasn't surprising; both were incredibly beautiful and intelligent people. They were a striking pair.

     The raven-haired male noticed how others would whisper as they passed and discretely listened out for any useful information.

     "It's so rare to see them walking together!" someone exclaimed.

     "Do you think they're dating?" another asked

     "Eh? No way! They hate each other!"

     "They'd make a gorgeous couple. They're both totally the cool type."