36.) All The Lonely People

Cal

"The whole world can become the enemy when you lose what you love

"The whole world can become the enemy when you lose what you love."

- Kristina McMorris, Bridge of Scarlet Leaves

It's been a while since the Battle of Erudite, it has been a few weeks since we've finally regained our freedom back from Jeanine. Yet, despite all of that, I did not feel the satisfaction I thought I would. The feeling of the breeze blowing through my hair to calm my nerves, but I looked out to the city feeling like I had no control over anything.

I tossed my braid over my shoulder, letting it rest on my back and stared at the sky as the sun began to rise beginning a new day. I take in a deep breath taking in the morning air and try to push back those painful memories. When I lost Will, it felt like I was stuck in this quicksand that was never ending and I would keep being swallowed by the earth. The night before, I had barely gotten any sleep because every time I close my eyes to rest, I would see Will's face looking up at mine as he bleed out in my arms and the look on Al's face when I beat him senseless.

All that violence had ruined me and I refused to put it out to the world anymore, it was time to stop pulling the trigger indefinitely and just refrain. I glanced down at the city to see people trying to adjust to this new system, freedom from being put into only one place.

"What are you thinking about?" Four asked me, I looked away from below and turned my head towards him as he leaned on the wall. "Thoughts." I answered sarcastically, he smiled then moved away from the wall to walk towards me. "No, come on. I want to know." He said grabbing both my hands and looking into my eyes, so I let out a sigh in defeat. "I'm just nervous for the trial, I am not the best in speaking in front of people." I answered truthfully.

The thought of speaking in front of a bunch of people made my knees weak and my heart race.

"It's just like we practiced, just point out the facts and don't stare too much at the crowd." He advised, I nodded then he pulled me close to him as he wrapped his arms around me, I couldn't help but smile at the embrace, so I wrapped my arms around him. "Listen, Calypso, I've been meaning to tell you something." Four said sounding nervous, I looked up at him confused and he inhaled deeply as he looked into my eyes. "I might be saying this too soon, but I-" Four was interrupted by the loud siren and he closed his eyes annoyed, I let out a sigh and cleared my throat. "That's our cue." I said sadly, he nodded then leaned down to place a kiss on my forehead.

"Is it bad to say I miss being in Dauntless?" He questioned with a light smile, I chuckled and shook my head. "Yes, because you banging loudly on metal waking everyone up was exciting." I responded sarcastically, he chuckled then grabbed my hand. "A simple yes would've sufficed." He pointed out and I sighed. "And let you get an ego boost? Not on my watch." I joked, he nodded and followed me out the building.