Chapter Thirty-Five

"What are you doing here?" I asked, surprised.

"I missed you too." He said sarcastically. "Now where's my hug?"

"See, my mom told me this..." I said, "She said to keep a distance away from stupid people."

I know it's a little too late for that, but...

"That's too bad," He shrugged, "I already know you, so I can't really stay away from you."

"Yes, you can." I rolled my eyes.

He mockingly put a hand over his heart. "Are you implying that I'm stupid? Come on, I didn't fail any classes when I was in fifth grade." He said proudly.

I didn't buy it. "What about when you were in sixth grade?"

He chuckled nervously, "You see... you don't need to know that. The information is top-secret."

"You sure? I know your sixth-grade homeroom teacher and I'm sure she wouldn't mind telling me your grades."

"Nah, she'll never tell you. She loved me." He huffed.

So that's why, sixth months later after all the chaos, we were sitting in Lysander's sixth-grade homeroom teacher's classroom.

"Hi, Mrs. Hill." I said, "We have a few questions to ask you."

She smiled a huge, warm smile. "Sure."

Lysander coughed. "Actually, she's the one with the questions, I'm the one that is here to watch you guys talk trash about me and all that good stuff."

We both ignored him. "Okaaaaay then." He said to himself quietly.

"Before we start," The teacher said, "You might want to add this to your list because I'm assuming this has to do with school." We both started coughing because it had nothing to do with schoolwork.

"Yeah," I coughed, "Of course."

She patted both of our backs. "Do you two need cough drops? You don't seem alright."

We both started coughing again. "No thanks." I wheezed while trying not to laugh.

"You sure?" She asked while she raised her eyebrows.

"Yeah," I coughed one last time, then cleared my throat, "Positive."

"Lysander found it funny doing a TikTok trend in the bathroom." She sighed. "My, my, I can't even remember how long he had detention for it."

"From September to the end of the school year," Lysander added.

I gaped at him. "...maybe I shouldn't have added that?" He laughed nervously, "Now start ignoring me again. It's fun."

"While you're at it, Mr. Spooner, please don't tear apart the ceiling and take pieces of it."

"Wait," I laughed, "He tore apart the ceiling?"

"Don't even get me started on it," She sighed again, "He did something and, one day after the next, one by one, removed all of the tiles from the ceiling in the boy's bathroom. He distributed them out to all the boys in the grade."

Tell me again, why did he take tiles from the ceiling anyway? Is there something super important taking ceiling tiles from the bathrooms? No wonder he didn't get good grades.

She sighed. "If only he put as much effort he put into that into his schoolwork, he wouldn't have gotten a C minus or below in every class." I grinned at him, who shrunk away in embarrassment. So much for Mrs. Hill liking Lysander the most.