57. Family - Final Chapter

THANK YOU! I feel like I keep repeating myself but seriously, thank you from the bottom of my heart. You are the big driving force behind my writing and I don't think I could have completed another story if it wasn't for all of you reading it.

I have also added a FAQ chapter at the beginning of the story in case you have questions about what's happening next. There's also a little hint about the third fanfic in there.

Please, enjoy the final chapter of Coming Home.

Lots of love,

Sophie.

---

Hamdan

I put the surgical scrubs over my sweats and t-shirt as quickly as I can. The nurse watches me closely while still holding other smaller items in her hands.

"How could this happen? I just saw her and she was completely fine," I say to her.

"Sometimes these things happen, your highness," she replies. "Babies suddenly decide that it is time, but don't worry, everything will be okay."

I don't mean to come off as rude so I will keep my mouth shut, but when someone says; hey, your wife is having an emergency C-section, it definitely does not sound like everything will be okay, because something is surely not okay for an emergency procedure to happen, especially one involving an unborn baby.

"This goes on your head," the nurse hands me over a little blue hat that matches the scrubs. "And this is your mask, please make sure it covers your mouth and nose," she instructs me.

I follow her orders. "Can I go in now?" I ask her once I'm done.

She inspects me head to toe. "Follow me, please."

We step out of the little dressing room and into a long hallway with several steel doors to each side. The nurse stops at one of the doors and opens it for me to step inside. Immediately I feel the temperature drop in the operating room and an entire team of people in clothes very similar to mine, surround Layla who's laying with her arms stretched to the sides and wearing a hair cap. The nurse walks past me and brings a chair close to Layla for me to sit in. She starts crying once her eyes meet mine and I rush to take a seat on the chair and put my face next to hers.

"I'm sorry," she whispers. "I'm so sorry."

"What are you talking about?" I say to her while my thumb caresses her cheek. "Doctor Nornan explained everything to me, you didn't do anything wrong."

"Your highness," a gentle voice says and I lift my head. On Layla's other side, a petite woman looks at me with smiling eyes. "I'm doctor Jalouk, the anaesthesiologist."

"Nice to meet you, doctor Jalouk."

She then looks down at Layla. "How are you feeling?"

Layla nods. "Good."

"Remember what we talked about, okay? Deep breaths," the doctor advises. "It is very important for you to remain calm."

Layla nods one more time but I know she's struggling to be calm, afterall, how could she be? I just want this to be over, I want the doctors to tell us that our daughter is fine and take my wife out of this cold room and into our home to be together, all four of us.

"The procedure is about to start," doctor Jalouk announces.

A sheet was put up and we cannot see anything from where we are, so I focus again on Layla and try to be as near to her as possible.