44

LOU'S POV:

"You're kidding." Was all I managed to say.

"What the fuck." Was another sentence I said.

Nicole's eyes widened and then she cursed, probably because some flour got inside her eye. Sarah kept staring at me with her mouth open, speechless, while Nicole tried to wipe the flour off her eye with a towel.

"Lou, I..." Sarah said.

I scoffed, "You're unbelievable."

"Lou!" Sarah said, her steps chasing me up the stairs, both of us leaving Nicole behind. I felt a nauseous feeling at the pit of my stomach, and the sudden chest pain that indicated I was holding back tears.

I had no business getting emotional right now, I was supposed to get angry, to yell at someone, maybe I would punch Sarah in the face... but I got to my room faster than ever and closed the door behind me with a slam; which gave the message I wanted to be left alone.

*

I sat on the floor, my back against my bed and my hands busy browsing through Maya's diary.

Nicole was up the stairs in about 20 minutes. I knew she'd recover from her flour accident and go talk to me, but inside my head there were these awful thoughts, and inside my heart the feeling of uncertainty and anger were drowning me. She'd been hiding the one secret I would have loved for her to tell me; that she liked other women, too.

"Can I come in?"

I felt betrayed.

I sighed, "Only if I'm getting an explanation."

She opened the door and her frown met my frown. She sat down on the floor in front of me, and looked down to her lap.

Nicole scratched the back of her neck, "You weren't supposed to find out like this."

"Or at all?" I interrupted.

She looked up again, "I'm sorry."

"Since when have you been lying to me?" I asked. I closed Maya's diary and crossed my arms over my chest.

My older sister shook her head, "It's not like that."

"It seems like that!" I accused.

"It isn't."

"What? This is the first time you kiss Sarah?"

"No..."

"Since when?" I raised an eyebrow at her.

Nicole cleared her throat, "A couple months." Her tone sounded as if she was afraid of saying it, as if someone would beat her up for saying so.

I scoffed and rolled my eyes at my older sister. "I bet you weren't gonna tell me." I said.

"I wasn't, not yet." She said, her puppy eyes confirmed that, and they also confirmed how sorry she was for me to find out like this.

"Why not!" I exclaimed.

Nicole scoffed this time and her gaze changed a bit from ashamed to anger, "I don't understand why you can't just shut your mouth and support me!"

"I never said I didn't support you!" I yelled back.

She groaned, "You're basically shaming me because I decided to keep my sexuality from you, which I'm totally entitled to, by the way. And I didn't tell you because I haven't come to terms with it yet! You of all people should understand that!"

My eyebrows furrowed in anger, "I have all right to be mad at you! You know how hard it's been for me!"

"If you know how hard it is, then shut the fuck up!" Nicole yelled at me.