39

A bloody idiot.

That's what this man was.

A bloody Italian idiot.

"Wha... why?" I asked completely baffled. A marriage contract? Was he serious? I was rendered speechless.

Me. Speechless.

Hell honestly has frozen over.

Vittore sighed. "You didn't look through the original contract that Matteo used to buy you from your father. Some of the terms are permanent."

"But you're the Don of this bloody mafia. You can just... release me," I said, babbling what first came into my mind.

"Its not that simple. This mafia is filled with very powerful men, men who know about that contract, Matteo made sure of that. I can't just let you go, even though they haven't seen or met you. I don't want them to start a coup and have me gun down half my mafia. That would just send this city onto chaos," Vittore explained.

His words rung true, I'd heard of mafia families that were betrayed by their own. They were usually the right hand men so that explains why Vittore didn't have one. I wouldn't trust their asses either.

"But.. but..."

"The contract only lasts five years tesoro. After that, you'll be given enough freedom to live your life as you wish. I've gone through each and every detail and there's no loophole," Vittore stated calmly.

How? How could he be calm at a time like this?

I opened up the papers again, carefully looking through them but not actually reading because I was in too much shock.

"I don't have to give you an heir or anything do I?" I asked, panic slightly slipping in my tone. I was not having a child.

"A meno che non sia quello che desideri (Unless that's what you want)," Vittore said in a suggestive tone. I looked up at him and glared but he didn't seem affected.

I felt weight pull down on me and the world started to spin. I closed my eyes for a second before opening them again to process everything. God what's wrong with this fucking Italian?

"Hey," I looked up once again at Vittore who's brows were pinched together. He looked worried. "You don't have to decide or sign anything now, I'm giving you a month."

A month?

That was a long time. I needed that month though. I really really really did.

"Meanwhile, I have to introduce you to the rest of the higher ups in the mafia and you'll be going with me on a few missions," Vittore said leaning on his desk and interlocking his fingers.

"Why?" I asked, a whine wanting to force its way out of my body.

"Because I want my people to get used to you incase you do decide to sign the contract. You will be the Dona. My Dona."

"Don't fucking say it like that," I snapped putting a finger up. My belly was filled with butterflies and my stomach churned in a way that made me feel sick. What the fuck is this?

"Look Vittore I'll.. I'll.. I'll think about it ok? I can't have to deal with this now," I said sighing and running a hand down my face, the weight of the paper in my and seeming heavier.

I mean, it would make sense right? I'd get close to him like I'd wanted and get out of this mafia quicker. I was 19, my the time the contract was done, I'd still have my whole life ahead of me but with the training I had and the lives I was sure to take, a mundane lifestyle seemed so bloody boring.

I stood up from the chair and Vittore didn't stop me or call me back when I walked out. I first went to my room, looking at the papers before I hid them behind my nightstand. I'd properly look through it later but I was still making diner with Faye a few moments ago so I hopped back on the elevator to her floor.

I didn't bother knock on her door and just walked in. She noticed my mood and gave me a comforting pat on the cheek.

What would I do without this woman?

"Where's Alexa?" I asked noticing Faye was here alone.

"She left, ad some things to do. Come on darling. Let's set the table sì?"

"Yeah sure," I mumbled and helped her clean the place up and set the table.

"Dalia please go check on the stew. I left it on to boil for a while," Faye said as I was setting some cups down. I nodded and left her in the living room, checking on the stew which tasted amazing. Thanks to me of course.

I went back to help Faye after that, noticing we had three seats set up. Alexa was probably coming back. I sighed. I did not like that bitch at all. Screw getting to know her better. She's been so fucking rude to me since I arrived. She can drown in her own ego for all I care.

I helped Faye get the buns out of the oven and place them on the table.

"Who else is coming?" I asked Faye. The older woman opened her mouth to answer when there was a knock at the door. She smiled and went to answer it.

"Cosa ti ho detto sull'essere sempre in ritardo? Dovevi essere qui dieci minuti fa (What did I tell you about always being late? You were supposed to be here ten minutes ago)," Faye's voice rung out. I shook my head at her, praying for the poor soul on the other side.

"Scusa mamma. Avevo solo un sacco di cose per la testa e ho perso completamente la cognizione del tempo (Sorry mom. I just had a lot of things on my mind and completely lost track of time)."

You have got to be fucking kidding me. I just run away from this guy! He asked me to marry him like half an hour ago.

"Entra ma la prossima volta non sarò così clemente (Come in but next time I won't be so forgiving)," Faye said and I heard Vittore walk in and the door close.

When I looked eyes with Vittore once he walked in, I was the first one to look away. Fay acted and talked like she normally would, not noticing the tension at all. We were all sitting at the table, Vittore across me and Faye at the head, eating the stew and bread. Simple things really.

"This is great mamma," Vittore suddenly said. "Did you try something new?"

"No. It was Dalia who cooked," Faye said like a proud mother. Vittore's eyes rose to meet mine but I went back to looking at my dish and not him.

We were painfully quiet after that until i think Faye had enough and dropped her spoon loudly.

"What is it with this tension? Vittore, didn't you ask her to marry you? Did she say no? Dalia, talk to me because this meal is about enjoying not just the food but the company and I hate that you two aren't on the same page. You're uno nello stesso, one in the same. You shouldn't be fighting," Faye said and my eyes widened while Vittore let out a sigh.

"Mamma-"

"Stai zitto (Shut up)," Faye cut off Vittore making me blink. "You are being immature. The both of you. Do you not see the signs?!"

Faye looked like she wanted to smack us with a spoon.

"What signs?" I asked.

"The signs... the whole incident last time and how you both reacted, mostly you Vittore and then there's the marriage contract and the staring and the breaking of eye contact..."

I frowned and honestly, Vittore looked as confused as I was. What was she talking about? What signs? Seeing our reaction to her words, the older woman sighed in defeat.

"Mi arrendo. Siete entrambi degli idioti. Idioti. Non puoi vedere cosa c'è davanti a te (I give up. You are both idiots. Idiots. You can't see what's in front of you)," Faye said making me all the more confused but she changed the topic.

I wonder what she was going on about.