Chapter 13

For Gabe’s sake, he hadn’t sad anything.  Hadn’t really moved.  Charlotte was thankful for that small miracle as she paced the lawn in his backyard.  They’d moved there when it felt like Charlotte was about to suffocate in his kitchen.  The sun was warm and the air was cool, and Gabe looked delectable just lounging in his chair while Charlotte tried to not lose her mind.

“Okay, stand up.” Charlotte announced suddenly, startling Gabe from his silent appraisal of Charlotte.  “I want to test this thing, so stand up.”

Cautiously Gabe stood to his full, towering height.  Beneath his flannel Charlotte could imagine the muscles rippling, the same muscles she had seen the first night she had met him.  She fought the blush when she thought of his naked body.

“Test what?” Gabe asked.

Charlotte waved a hand between the ten foot space between them.  “This.  This whole mate thing.  I can’t just take your word for it.”

“The rune—“

“The rune can be used on anyone.” Charlotte cut him off harshly.  “If you use enough power, any rune can be used on any person.  Just because you used a claiming rune doesn’t mean I’ve claimed you back.”

Gabe made as though he were about to argue before a serene look crossed his face, causing a shiver to run up Charlotte’s spine.  “Fine.  Test it if you must.”

“Take your shirt off.” She demanded.  Gabe lifted an eyebrow, but did as she asked.  Trying her best to remain impartial to all that man standing before Charlotte, she stepped close.

“Stay here.” She muttered, brushing past him and back into the house.  She shuffled around the island in the center and grabbed a knife from the block before going back out to the lawn.  Gabe eyed the knife warily, but said nothing.  “I need your hand.”

He offered his hand, and didn’t flinch when Charlotte drew the blade over the thin skin of his palm.  Blood pebbled on the small cut and she tucked the knife into her pocket before touching his blood with her fingertips.  Because she worked with runes since she was a child, this part of the process didn’t gross her out, although Gabe’s stare was nearly burning her.

“Should I be concerned?” he muttered finally.

Charlotte paused, her blood coated fingers inches from the solid muscles in his chest.  “You should be fine.  You might feel a burning sensation.  There’s a chance I could lose your soul but I wouldn’t worry.”

She saw him stiffen but continued anyways, drawing quickly on his chest in elegant lines, perfectly executed despite the crude drawing material.  She finished quickly and stepped back, admiring her work.  Gabe lowered his chin to his chest right above the drawing, trying to see it.  “What’s it do?”

Charlotte didn’t answer, but instead pulled the knife from her pocket and sliced her own palm.  Where Gabe had been quiet when it was his turn, he shouted as Charlotte drew her own blood, snatching the knife away quickly.  “Jesus, Charlotte!” he shouted, reaching to grab her hand like he was going to check on the wound.

Charlotte laughed and pulled her hand back, grinning at Gabe’s outburst.  “It’s a small cut, smaller than yours.  I’m fine.”

She spread the blood on her palm then paused once more.  “What?” Gabe asked lightly, sensing her hesitancy.

Charlotte grimaced.  “If you’re lying, I swear I’ll burn your house down.” She said, meeting his eyes steadily.

The corner of his mouth turned up.  “I can’t lie to you, Charlotte, I’ll never be able to lie to you.”