CHAPTER XXII: a mask of guilt

⋆🏁⋆

⋆🏁⋆

══════ PRESENT ══════

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

🛑     TW : mentions of stalking, manipulation, death, and suicide.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

" YOU KNOW.. you don't deserve to get hurt." dream started, voice talking against the unfaltering cityscape and winding roads lined with street lamps that was being viewed on the western side of the stadium. dream turned to y/n, observing their expression. y/n bit their lip to hide their negative recollection, although their eyes were easily a storybook. "yeah." y/n agreed quietly, a slight husk prominent in their voice.

you thought back to all the crazy things that happened in the past when working in the stadium from people stalking you to manipulating you.. you felt so insecure at the time that deep down, it felt like your fate was sealed. that you were meant to get hurt. dream, however, helped you get out of that realization, making things feel more accepting, and easier to move on from. after you took a deep breath to gather yourself, your eyes feeling less stingy and the husk in your throat fading away, finally collecting yourself, you just nodded and restated yourself more confidently, your voice a lot clearer and audible, words concise.

"yeah. i don't deserve any of that." you said in a normal tone, making dream's eyes go glossy with happiness. "good." he muttered under his breath, proud that you were more accepting today. you bit your lip again, rocking yourself gently back and forth and reminiscing for a moment before speaking, "you know what else though.. that um... that happened that was.. really bad..?" you paused between your words, thinking about how you were going to approach the topic aloud. "what?" dream asked softly, full attention on you.

"when wilbur.. committed suicide." you professed, feeling a deep pang resonating in your heart. you refrained from mentioning it for so long but you missed him dearly. dream swallowed, looking away from you and down at his feet solemnly. "yeah." he agreed in a quiet tone like you did before. you turned your body around and faced behind you, standing up and holding the balcony railing so you can peer over the platform steps. "over there. that's where he did it... i'll never forget." you admitted, pointing towards the southeastern side of the stadium, staring intensely at the balcony railing that used to have caution tape on it.

dream stood beside you, looking out at the same area and replaying the images in his head of the sad event. he gulped, playing with his hands in front of him. as much as him and wilbur fought for you in the past, he had to admit that the man was a great race car driver, and he never deserved to actually die in the first place. dream began feeling guilt eat away at him, thinking back to the petty treatment he handed out to wilbur. even outside of the races, he didn't act like that towards wilbur until you came into the picture. looking out at that area of the stadium was a reminder that people can die young, and it was such a dumb thing that could've been completely avoided.

▚▞▚▞▚▞▚▞▚▞▚▞▚▞

◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤

◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤

A/N.
WHEN AUTHOR SPEAKS.
pre-warning: next chapter is pretty fucking intense. like ik i wrote it already but im scared to edit it right now

w.c.: 500+