Chapter 26: That Close

We passed a car and noticed that Vanya was driving. We all made eye contact before both cars pulled over. Five and I got out of the car and ran towards Vanya.

"What are you guys doing here?" She asked.

"Looking for you," Five told her, "we're going back to 2019."

"What are you talking about?" Vanya asked.

"Look, I don't really have time to explain right now, but I found a way home. All right? We have 30 minutes to leave," Five said as he took my hand and started to led us back to the car.

"What about my friends? I can't just leave them here," Vanya said.

Five and I stopped to look at her.

"Vanya, you don't have a choice in this all right?" Five said, "doomsday will happen if you don't come with us."

"Okay, then I'm bringing them with me," Vanya said.

"V, they belong here. In this timeline," I said.

"Says who?" She yelled, "Sissy deserves a life where she doesn't have to pretend to be someone she's not. And Harlan? There's a name for what he has. We can get him the help he needs."

"Vanya," Five said.

"Look, a mom and her eight year old son are not going to screw up the timeline, guys!" Vanya yelled, "They're insignificant!"

Five let go of my hand and walked towards her, "No one is insignificant. I'm sorry all right? But we can't take that risk. They have to stay."

Vanya looked past him at me, "Y/N?"

"I'm sorry, Vanya. But I agree with Five," I said.

"Come on," Five said as he walked back towards me.

"Why do you get to decide?" Vanya yelled, "You're the reason we're stuck here in the first place!"

"Vanya!" I yelled.

Five turned to her, "If I did nothing, we would all be dead right now, thanks to you."

"Five!" I yelled.

"They're coming with me," Vanya said.

"Vanya, do not test me right now," Five said as he walked towards her.

"That's funny," she said as she walked towards him, "cause I was just about to say the same thing."

Vanya's eyes turned white as she let her energy run through her body and blue energy left Five's hands as they both stared each other down.

I sighed, "Guy's..."

Vanya sighed and and calmed down, "Fine."

"Fine what?" Five asked,

"I'll be there, but I need to say goodbye first," Vanya said.

"Oh, Vanya, we don't have the time," Five said.

"Well, it's either that or I'm not coming," She said before turning around and walking back to her car.

I walk up to him and place my hand on his shoulder, "Just let her go. I would want to say goodbye to you."

He sighs and nods, "come on."

He takes my hand and we walk back towards the car.

"The alley! Don't be late!" Five yelled back at Vanya before opening my door. I got in the car and scooted to the middle of the the seat so I could sit closer to Five. I laid my head on his arm and used he one of his hands to hold mine.