Lemongrass

Oh.

Was it a new song? I hadn't heard him sing that before. Should I quietly leave? I really didn't want to. But I kept my eyes shut just in case someone saw me - at least I would have the benefit of doubt that I was just asleep. And so I lay there, listening to Jungkook write a song, amidst the familiar citrus scent of his. He continued to hum and I almost dozed off -

"HAKSENG!"

I sat up so fast that I cricked my neck. "Yuki sunbae!" I groaned, massaging the back of my neck. "Why did you have to yell..." The humming on the other side had stopped. Oh no. For once, I was glad that Jungkook never did talk to me.
"Why are you sleeping there?" Sunbae asked, exasperated.
"Because I can." I snapped.

I remembered that I had to give him today's footage.

I turned towards my camera bag and suddenly found myself staring at Jungkook's doe eyes.

Half a foot apart.

I arched back in reaction. He had lifted up the background between us and was staring back at me aghast.

"Were you listening to everything?"

I was.

"Maybe," I replied to the floor.

He had finally spoken to me. I noticed he was still wearing the red satin nightshirt he'd worn for the pink bathroom photos in the morning. His hair was freshly blow-dried, resting lightly on his forehead.

"But it's a new song!" He sounded frustrated, but not too serious.

"I'm tone deaf and half asleep. I can't leak it even if I wanted to." I answered the ceiling.

"No, that's not what I -" he noticed Yuki sunbae watching the both of us. I glanced at them back and forth.

I stood up quickly. This awkward show had gone on for long enough. I handed Yuki sunbae the memory cards, and mumbled something about wanting to wash my burning eyes.

It was only after reaching the locker room that I finally breathed. Stop being so affected, I scolded myself. This was not school. I was not fifteen. I was annoyed. I should have left the moment he sat down next to where I was. Now, he probably thought I slept at work. Which I never did, but I had slept six hours in three days thanks to back to back shoots and my broken window that let in all the mosquitoes at night.

Oh well, it had happened. His half surprised half annoyed face was stuck in my memory forever. I couldn't help but smile at the image although it felt a little embarrassing.

Someone opened the locker door. I glanced up. My hand automatically went to my chest.

It was Jungkook.

What on earth was happening today?

He kept something on the chair. "I had a few extra...you said your eyes were burning so..." he looked around. There was nothing to see. No one else was there. I noticed that he'd put on a coat over the shirt. "I'm sorry for snapping at you -" he was apologizing with such an innocent smile that I wanted to melt right there.

"No, it's okay. I shouldn't have stayed hidden like that. I was just too - too -" I was finally looking at his face, not the chest, not the floor, not the ceiling.

"Sleepy?," he chuckled, "It happens. See you around."

He gave me one last smile and left.

My hand was still on my heart. On the chair was a cooling gel eye pad and the source of the lemongrass scent - a little stick of balm. I sighed. If my sleep-deprived eyes had any moisture left, I might have cried. I hadn't even said thank you.

I wasn't sure how Ahjumma would react if she found out about me receiving a care package from Jungkook. I sighed. "Are you trying to get me fired?" I murmured in the empty room, trying hard to not to feel as giddy as I felt.