13.

After leaving the graveyard, Ruben drove Sanchez over to his grandparents house like he'd asked

After leaving the graveyard, Ruben drove Sanchez over to his grandparents house like he'd asked. He felt iffy about going but he was determined to get past a few things while on this trip. He'd already gone and visited his mother's grave like he wanted to, now he needed to speak to his grandparents. The last time he saw them was at his high school graduation because he invited them though he hadn't spoken to them for majority of the year. They had gone out of their way to shame Ruben at their family reunion and he wasn't having it. He spoke his peace and kept to himself until they made it back to Florida.

His grandparents had a hard time understanding how Sanchez could look at his father, knowing his ways resulted in his mother's death. To be honest, Sanchez just couldn't place blame on Ruben no matter how hard he tried. He lived in the home with them and saw the way Ruben protected them and made sure to provide. His parents weren't full out transparent with him about the lifestyle, but they lived in a one-bedroom apartment, there was only so much they could hide from him. If he didn't see it for himself, he overheard them talking about it.

It was also hard to place blame on Ruben when he stared one of the killers in the eyes as he prepared to be next. Yes, Ruben's way of protecting and providing back then wasn't the best way and came with deadly risks, but it was all they had. It allowed them to eat a hot meal every night, gave them somewhere to lay their head and wash their ass. Had Ruben not bitten the bullet of his old life they would've been living out his janky box chevy for years to come. They had no one to help them. They only had each other so something had to shake.

"I know you got bad blood with your people but don't go in there wantin' to start nothin'. You said you wanted to come see them so do that. See how they doin' and spend some quality time." Ruben lectured after parking in the driveway.

"I'm not on that with them." Sanchez grabbed his phone from his lap, ready to climb out. "I'll call you when I'm ready to go."

"Alright. Don't let them get to you, Nooney."

Sanchez gave his dad a head nod and got out the truck. He shut the door and walked around his grandfather's Infinity up to the front door. Someone was already peeking out of the blinds to see who was parked in their yard. Sanchez barely reached the door before it was pulled open and his grandma stood in the frame, twisting her rosary. Melva was in her early sixties with only her crow's feet and silver hair to show for it. She stepped over without a word and let Sanchez in the house.

"Long time no see." she spoke in english, catching him off guard. Melva learned to speak english at a young age but she preferred her native tongue in the house. She also knew Sanchez struggled to respond back in spanish.

"Yeah, I just wanted to come see how y'all are doing and wish you a Merry Christmas." Sanchez offered her a hug now catching her off guard. She embraced him. "Where's Papa?"

"In the bathroom. He almost piss up himself tryna watch tv." she shook her head. "Ruben couldn't come speak?"

"So you can call him the devil?" Sanchez sat down.