Chapter 17: Sick Norman

It's been days since the scene in the library happened. Ray and I acted as if nothing happened to the library. My interactions with mom were still as usual. However, I noticed that she'd been watching me more often.

Other children may not notice it, but I know that she's observing my actions.

Norman's adoption is approaching. One week to be precise. I wonder if I'll be able to carry out the plan.

"Check," I uttered unconsciously while placing my queen to g2, attacking Norman's king. The white-haired boy let out a smile as he defended his king with his pawn. I glanced at the board one more time. 

1 bishop, 2 rooks, 4 pawns, 1 queen, and the black king. My eyes went to the pawn beside the black king. I eliminated it by moving the black rook. "That's a good move, Conny," Don who was sitting beside me uttered.

Norman moved his bishop to eliminate my other rook and attacking my black king. "Check," He uttered quietly. 

Don glared at Norman which made me giggle. 

Damn, it's only been 5 minutes since we played the game. I don't think I have a chance to win with this boy. "Can I surrender?" I asked.

Norman smiled at me but in the end, he calmly shook his head. "No," He uttered. I frowned when I almost didn't hear his voice. It's too soft and almost sounded weak.

I moved my black king backward. "Why? Norman will win the game anyway..."

I can't even last 10 minutes when playing with Ray. How can I even win a game with this boy?

"I want to play with-- *cough cough*," My eyes glanced at Norman when he coughed gently. I tilted my head.  "Excuse me," he said while covering his mouth. When he recovered, his hands moved the white bishop to eliminate my pawn.

"Norman, are you okay?" A child asked while tugging Norman's clothes. There was a worried expression on her face. "Why do you look weak?" Sherry asked Norman. "Is Norman sick?" She asked again.

My mouth parted as I glanced at Norman. When Norman saw that I would stop the game, he immediately refused "Conny, wait--" I immediately gathered at the chess pieces on the board. "We're not yet finished..."

I immediately shook my head. "Let's continue it next time," I said. I worriedly glanced at him before glancing at Don. "Don, take a look at Norman," I said softly while tugging his clothes. 

Don wrinkled his brows before rising from his seat. He went in front of Norman before placing his hands to place it on his forehead. Don glanced at me. "Norman..."He paused for a while. "He has a low fever. Let's call mom."

Low fever?

When Sherry heard the word fever, she immediately went away, Phil who was also watching my game with Norman followed Sherry. 

I am sure that they are going to tell it to mom.

"Norman are you okay?" I asked him.

The white-haired boy glanced at me with a smile on his face. "Don't worry-- *cough* I'm okay *cough*," He said with a cough. He placed his hands on his forehead while taking a deep breath. "The fever is not high," He said.

"Don..." I glanced at Don with panic.

"I will get water," He immediately said. Don went to the kitchen while I was left here with here Norman. 

When Don went away, I patted Norman's back. I placed my hands on his forehead to check his body temperature. I took a deep breath when I noticed that his temperature is not that high. "Is Norman uncomfortable?" I asked.