Figuring Things Out

Peter and I return to his house, late afternoon. Still worked up about these new changes, we needed to sit down somewhere and figure things out. We walked through the living room, finding his Uncle Ben painting the kitchen, that was almost finished. "Peter, almost thought you forgot." He said, running the brash against the wall before he turn his head to look at us. "Oh, hello (Name)..... do you need to stay over?" He asked, referring to Mom.

"No.... It's okay, Ben. She should be working late tonight, I just wanted to come over." I answered, trying to forget what she said this morning. "If I could, I give that mother of yours, a piece of my mind." He said, walking over to paint tray. "I wouldn't bother, it goes in one ear and out the other."

Ben sets his paint bush down and turn to look at his nephew. "I got a call from your school. Something about you getting in a fight with another student?" Peter's face goes pale. "I-I... well uh."

"I won't ask what the fight was about, that's your business. You're changing, and that's normal. This is the age when a man becomes the man he's going to be for the rest of his life. All I'm saying is to be careful who you change into, Peter."

"I'm trying, Uncle Ben, I am. I feel all this, this...." Peter glances at me for a moment, before he looks back at his Uncle. "...power, but I don't know what it means, how to control it, even, or what I'm supposed to do with it."

"You'll figure it out. You're one smart cookie, Pete, your teachers tell me they've never seen a science whiz like you at this age. Knowledge is power. But with Great Power Comes Great Responsibility. Remember that. 'Of those to whom much is given, much is required.' Much more than hallway fist fights."

Peter nods. It's amazing how insightful his Uncle's words are, if only he knew everything. Ben then gesture to the paint walls. "I'm almost done here, so how about you kids get started on your homework." Ben told us, making Peter frown in disappointment. "I'm sorry, Uncle Ben. I know I said I'd help but..."

"Peter, you've never been good with time. It's alright. I needed something to do anyway, now that I'm laid off." Ben explained picking push his paint brush. "I wish there was some way I could help you and Aunt May. Maybe get a job, pay some of the bills while you're laid off. Aunt May's medicine isn't exactly free, I mean, how are we..."

Ben sets his brush down again and walked over to us, to stand in front of his nephew. "Paying bills is my job, not yours." He told Peter, who looks down in sorrow. "I just want to help." Uncle Ben kisses him on top of the head. "Love you for that, kiddo." Ben then walks back to the tray to finish painting. Peter and I sit headed up to his room to do our homework and discuss our new abilities in private.

Two hours went by and I check my wrist again, to see no webbing. I try doing the web shooting move but still got nothing. I look at my wrist letting out an groan. Suddenly Peter shoots a web at a Dr. Pepper can, yanking on the web to send it flying towards him to catch it.

"Show off." I grumble, getting up from my seat. "Maybe it just takes a little longer for you?" Peter suggested. "No... each of our new abilities awaken at the same time. I think it's safe to say, organic webbing is something only you can do. So, I'll have to think of an alternative way."

I begin pacing, as I thought out loud. "Maybe I can make my own webs. Spiders' webs are made from silk, a natural fibre made of protein. So, it can't be too hard for me to make artificial webs."

"(Name)?" I turn my head to look over at Peter, seeing he was upside down. I look down in confusion, to discover he wasn't the one upside down, I was. I was so caught up in my own thoughts, I had paced right up his ceiling.

"This is gonna take so getting use too." I mumbled. There was then a knock at the door, in a panic I try to jump off the ceiling. But the stress caused me to stick to the ceiling like glue. "Aw, come on!" I place my hands on the ceiling to try and push myself off, but this just caused my hands to get stuck as well.

"Peter?" His Aunt May voiced called, as she start to open the door. Peter jump from his bed, racing over to the door. He place his hand on the door, to keep her from opening it any further, while he block her view with his face. "Yeah, Aunt May?"

"Dinner almost ready. I was wondering if (Name) would like to stay for dinner." The sweet old woman said, as I continued to fight with her nephew's ceiling. "Uh... I'll ask her when she's wakes up. She's taking a nap. English Literature always puts her asleep."

"Alright. Be down in ten minutes." May said, I could hear her footsteps as she walked away. "Okay, Aunt May." Peter closes the door and turn to look up at me. I yelp as my hands suddenly let go of the ceiling causing me to fall.

Luckily thought my feet remain sticking to the ceiling, saving me. But now I was hanging upside down, in front of Peter, an inch away from his face. "You know... this is kind of romantic." I teased, causing Peter to get all red in the face.

"Stop." He said, walking away as I snicker. "I'm just teasing. I know, you only have eyes for MJ." Swinging myself back up, to place my hand on the ceiling. If I'm gonna be stuck up here, I may as well not get a headache.

"And Harry already has eyes for you." Peter said quietly. My eyes widen, as suddenly my feet and hand stops sticking to the ceiling, causing me to crash onto the floor. "What?" I asked, quickly sitting up to look at a very nervous Peter. "He... he hadn't told you yet?"

"No! ...Well... there was something he kept trying to talk to me about but... oh my god. I feel like such a idiot!" I fell backwards onto the floor, to lay there in shame. "It's probably eating away at him that he keeps getting interrupted!"

"Hey come on, (Name). Look on the bright side. Now that you know, you can make sure he's not interrupted.... Just don't tell him I told you." I grab one of my crumbled up paper balls on the floor and threw it at Peter, which he dodge. "Thanks for the spoiler, Parker,"

Peter and I walk downstairs for dinner, noticing Ben was watching TV in the living room. "Dinner will be ready in just a moment." May told us from the kitchen. "Hey Ben, what are you watching?" I asked, walking up to the old man in his armchair. "Wrestling. There's apparently a big reward money, for anyone that can stay in the ring with this big guy."

"You're not thinking of entering are you?" I asked, in a teasing tone, Ben laughs. "No. I'm afraid my wrestling days are over." I giggle, looking over at Peter, seeing a smile spreads across his face as he watches the TV.

After dinner I headed home, thankful Mom wasn't back yet. And even more thankful in the morning that she wasn't around. I started preparing my breakfast toast, when there was a knock at the door. I open the door to find Harry, standing there just like yesterday. "Hey (Name), you wanna ride to school again? I thought since..."

"Doyouwanttogooutwithme?!" I bladder out, before I slap my hand over my mouth in embarrassment. Harry looked at me shocked. "What?" I slowly lower my hand so I could speak. "Do you want to go out.... with me?" I asked, with a nervous smile. Harry laughs. "I've been trying to ask you."

"Yeah well, I got tired of the interruptions and figure I beat you to the punch. Soooo.... You wanna date?" I asked, a big smile spread across Harry's face. "Absolutely." Crazy spider powers and now a boyfriend. It's like my life is finally getting better...