Internship

I was swinging through the city, on my way back to the campus when I heard shouting. I shoot a web out, to make a sharp turn and landed on the side of a building. Crawling to the edge I look down to see a bunch of kids, bullying two defenseless little boys.

For a moment I saw those two boys as Peter and I. For years we got pick on my Flash and his goons, but now I have the strength to stand up to criminals on a day-to-day basis. Funny how things work out like that.

I leap off the build and swing into the alley, shooting a warning web at the bigger kids, getting them to step away from the two boys. I then landed in front of them, staring the bullies down. "Why don't you boys pick on someone your own size."

The boys turn pale as a ghost, before they turn around and ran, their tails between their legs. I turn around to look at the boys. The smaller of the two, grab the arm of the older boy, for comfort. "You two alright?" I asked, kneeling down to their level.

"Y-yeah." The older boy answered, while younger one just nodded. I notice a broken project on the ground next to them and picked up the broken pieces. "Did you make this?" I asked. "Yeah. It's for the Science fair.... Or it was gonna be." The older boy answered.

"This is a wind turbine! You boys made this?" I asked again, the smaller boy smiles a little and nodded. "This is amazing. You boys must be little geniuses." The two boys smile grew even bigger, warming my heart.

"Let me see what I can do." I shoot sone webbing to reattach everything. "There! Good as new, right?" I asked, handing it back to the older boy. The boys look at their homemade turbine amazed. The smaller boy, stick his finger at the webbing to touch it.

"Come on, I'll walk you boys home." I said, patting them on the head before I stood up. "What's your names?" I asked as we walked towards the end of the alley. "Andrew." The older boy answered. "Tom." The younger boy answered, finding his voice.

"Andrew and Tom. I'll remember those names. I'm Spider-Woman." I said. "Do you know Spider-Man?" Tom asked. "Yeah, I know him. He's my partner. Do you like Spider-Man?" Tom nodded. "Yeah! I want to be him when I grow up."

I smile under my mask. "I'll tell him you said that. He'll feel real honored. What about you Andrew? Do you want be Spider-Man too?" I asked him. "Nah." He answered, looking down. "Nah? Why nah?" I asked. "I don't know.... I feel like I would mess it up and no one would like me."

"Hey." I stop Andrew, kneeling down to his level again. "Never let what anyone says, stop you from doing something you enjoy. If it makes you happy then that all that matters." I told him, Andrew kept looking down for a moment before I lifted his head to look at me. "Really?"

"Yeah. It's your life, don't let anyone dictate it." I said, tapping Andrew on his chest, making him smile. "What does... dick-tate mean?" Tom asked. "'Dictate'. It means control, like someone telling you how to live your own life." I explained, standing back up to take the boys home. All in a good day's work, for Spider-Woman.

"(Name)!" Hearing Harry call my name, I look up from my Physics book, to see him jogging over with a big smile. "Hey handsome, what's up?" Harry grab a chair from a near by table, and dragged it over to sit next to me. "You know how you said, working with Dr. Octavius would be a dream come true?"

"Yeah, he's like my idol." I answered, causing Harry's smile to grow even bigger. "What if I told you, I got you an internship with him?" He asked, my jaw dropped in disbelief. "No." I said. "Yes!" He said back. "With Dr. Octavius?" I asked, he nodded. "THE Otto Octavius?!"

"Oscorp is funding a special project he's working on. Won't be any results for a couple years but he could still use a hand around his lab. I got to meet him yesterday and told him all about you. He asked if you were interested in an internship."

A smile quick grew on my lips. "You're serious?" Harry chuckles. "Of course I'm serious. I would never lie to you, (Name). It be an unpaid internship but..." I drop my Physics book on the table and leap at Harry for a hug, cutting him off mid-sentence. "I don't care! Thank you, thank you, thank you, Harry! You don't know how much this means to me!" I told him, before I gave him multiple kisses on the cheek. "I think I have a pretty good guess." He said with a chuckle.

The next couple days, before my internship starts, were some of the longest days in my life. I was so excited to started, I could hardly contain myself. But when the day finally came, the wave of anxiety consumed me.

What if I make a complete fool of myself? He won't want me as an intern anymore! He'll tell everyone what a complete idiot I was, and then Harry will breakup with me, and then everyone will find out I'm Spider-Woman, and I'll have to move to Chicago, AND THEN...

....I gulp as all these panic thoughts swim around in my head, as I stare up at Dr. Octavius' building. I never thought I say this, but I wish a crime would happen to relax me. Punching guys in the face is a lot easier than talking to people you look up to. Heck talking to people in general.

Swallow my anxious feelings, entering the building and slowly made my way up the stairs. Reaching the top of the stairs, I just wants to turn back around and run. But I came too far, to chicken out now. Even though running isn't a bad idea right now.

I pressed on, making my way over to a woman, who stood in front of the giant window, looking at some notes. "Uh, e-excuse me?" I said quietly, my voice cracking. The woman look up from her paper and smile at me. "Yes?"

"I-I... internship. I-I-I mean I'm here for the internship! I'm (Last Name) (Name). Er I mean... (Name) (Last Name)." I managed to get out. "Oh, it's nice to finally meet you, (Name). Harry, couldn't stop talking about you. I'm Rosalie Octavius. Otto's wife." The woman held out her hand for me to shake it. "But you can just call me Rosie, dear." I smile a little, taking her hand and shaking it.

"Otto, just over here. Come on." Rosie started walking towards the back of the lab. I bit my bottom lip to calm myself, as I follow her. Reaching the back, we saw him. Otto Octavius, typing on a computer.

Seeing him just a few feet away, just made my legs go weak. Okay (Name), get a grip on yourself. He's just a normal guy, like everyone else. Your Spider-Woman, for crying out loud. You face actually scary things on a daily basis!

"Otto?" Dr. Octavius look over his shoulder at us, causing me to freeze up. Nope! This is much scarier. "(Name), is here." Rosie told him. "Ah! (Name), you kept me waiting." Dr. Octavius said, with a grin as he took his glasses off. He stood up and walk over, making me want to just melt into the floor.

"It's pleasure to finally meet you, (Name)." He held out his hand for me. "I-i-it's an honor, s-sir." I said, taking his hand a shaking it. God, I hope my hand wasn't sweaty.

"Please, no need to be so formal." He told me. "O-okay, sir." I said, making him laugh. "You're a nervous one aren't you?" He asked. "I-I'm sorry, sir. I-it's just... I look-look up to you and..." Dr. Octavius place his hand on my shoulder, making me go silent as I tense up.

"I understand, (Name). I'd probably feel the same if I were to meet Stephen Hawking. But there's no reason for you be so nervous." He smiles, making me feel a little at ease. "Do you want to see what we're working on?" He asked, I nodded unable to say anything.

Dr. Octavius guide me over to a bulletin board of notes. "You see, I've dedicates my life towards building a sustainable fusion power reactor." He explained, as I looked at the notes on the board. "A s-sustainable reactor? But that's impossible."

"Nothing's impossible, (Name). They said it was impossible for a man to fly, but Wilbur and Orville Wright dare to dream of the impossible. They made an Aircraft out of spruce wood and camber! Now we have planes and spider people swinging through New York." I stare at Dr. Octavius amazed. He was so inspirational. I couldn't be more honored, to work for him.

"But enough about me and my life's work. Tell me about yourself, (Name). I've hear you're into spiders." Dr. Octavius said, making me sheepishly smile. "It's sort of a hobby." I said, rubbing my wrist, where my web shooters rest under my sleeve. Though I think hobby is an understatement now.

"And you and Harry had a field trip, to the University a few months? I hope that was interesting." He said making me chuckle. "Oh, yeah. Life changing, you could say."