1. If There Is Next Life

His name was Ling Fan. He was of no great importance.

It took him ten years to plan his escape, and finally he made it.

At this moment, he was sitting on the roof of an old garbage truck, thin and weak. He was a mere bag of bones. He looked tiny compared with the large truck’s roof. If it wasn't for the fact that his dark brown eyes gleamed calmly and frostily, he might be thought of as a pathetic creature.

He was under 30. A man of his age was ordinarily bouncy and full of energy, but Ling Fan looked very thin with sunken cheeks. He was not ugly, but seemed as pale and grey as a tombstone. To be honest, he was like a frightening ghost. He tapped limply on the tin roof with his skinny fingers.

In a word, Ling Fang was lifeless.

Different from Ling Fang who was silent and indifferent, Lei Wu was extremely excited.

"Haha, sixteen years passed, and I finally came out of that damn place. The air outside is fresh! Bro, you are really a genius! The prison is heavily guarded, but you successfully got us out of there," Lei Wu said excitedly. His rugged face was set in an expression of admiration.

At the beginning, Ling Fan was the person Lei Wu most despised. At that time he considered Ling Fan a reticent, sickly man who was so weak as to be unable to stand a gust of wind. But now Ling Fan was the person he admired most.

'Although he looks weak, no one else in the prison can hold a candle to him in terms of cruelty. What's more, he is so smart that he can easily deal with those who try to challenged him,' Lei Wu thought to himself.

Seeing that Ling Fan kept silent, Lei Wu scratched his head. He didn't feel offended, because he had been accustomed to Ling Fan's silence.

With a smile Lei Wu asked, "By the way, what are you gonna do next?"

He wanted to express a willingness to be a follower of Ling Fan, but he was afraid that Ling Fan would turn him down, for he was just an uncultured boor. So, he bit back the words he would like to have said.

Hearing this, Ling Fan finally opened his mouth.

"To wait for death."

Lei Wu snorted with laughter. "Bro, come on, no kidding. We've just escaped from that damn place. This calls for a celebration. Please don't say such things, even in fun."

"I'm serious," Ling Fan said. He looked down at his old watch and continued, "I will probably die before sunrise..."

He was really dying. In a premeditated incident ten years ago, he had had a broken rib, which had penetrated his heart. He had lingered on for ten years. Now he was at death's door. At this moment, he could feel himself dying...

...

After a long silence, Lei Wu said, "Don't talk about it anymore. Death is not horrible. You fear no death, right?"

The sun hadn't yet risen. Lei Wu stared up at the distant sky and asked, "By the way, if there were an afterlife, what kind of person would you like to be?" He sounded calm, but his red-rimmed eyes gave him away.

"If there were an afterlife..." Ling Fan murmured. "I would like to be a wise man..."

A wise man wouldn't fall for a person who didn't deserve his love. He didn't want to be a mediocre, weak person anymore...