36. New Friends (Sai)

Two days of hectic preparations have passed in the blink of an eye. The evenings were spent in long hours of discussions and mastering Dey's rescue plan. It is reckless and extreme like everything he does, but I have already learned that this is exactly what makes him always successful. The time of the Great Assembly has come. 

   We are standing, holding hands, in the middle of the square, in front of the royal palace, together with Prinx Arxia and The First. The two kings and their queens are on our both sides. The impressive procession on the main street, slowly moving towards us, has been going on from early morning.

   The commotion around the wide road, leading from the city gates to the palace, is unimaginable. People are crowding the sidewalks. The crowns of the trees rustle with the giggles of the impatient children who have climbed the branches for a better view at the impressive parade. Black feathers are swirling in the air together with the usual pink, rose petals. The citizens chose them to symbolize my prince since our engagement was announced.  

   Each tribe has sent three representatives, the governor, the general in command of the local army and a priest. The groups are dressed in various, colorful, national costumes, typical of the area. Everyone has brought gifts for the Supreme Commanders. 

   A ruler, taller than most of the people I know, with copper skin, warm smile and a huge crown of deer antlers, jumps from the back of an enormous rainbow boa and raises his hand. "Greetings from the people of the waterfalls! Congratulations on your engagement, Prince Dai Stial! My respects, Prince Dai Danail! May your joining together bring us all peace and prosperity."

   We curtly nod and welcome him. I squeeze Dey's hand and feel his thumb gently caressing my palm. The forest king waves to the writhing animal. It obediently bows its head. He removes a necklace with a huge, glittering, yellow diamond from its neck and hands it to Dey, "We humbly ask you to accept our most precious jewel, the Morning Star, as a wedding gift."

   "I accept it with great gratitude. It would be an honor to see my beloved Moon wear this priceless treasure," Dey answers and puts the unique jewel on my neck. The gem is refracting the sun rays, drawing dancing rainbows on my dark blue tunic.

   The group from the waterfalls proceeds to enter the palace.

   A young, beautiful person with long, snow white hair, almost reaching the ground, and even paler complexion, leads the next group to us. Their companions are two men like mountains. All three ride white stallions. They are dressed in black, leather pants and vests and green cloaks.

   "The people of the Lost Caves wish you many years of health and welfare, Supreme Commanders. May your marriage be the happiest one," the governor smiles. Their cloud grey eyes focus on my face. "Sai, you little, sly fox! I knew that the whole thing with the no touching taboo was a sham! You waited for the most handsome man to appear to throw yourself in his arms, didn't you?"

   "Prinx Mostal," I giggle. "I am so happy to see you again. Dey, meet my most entertaining cousin and one of my best childhood friends."

   "His best friend ever," Mostal pouts. "I deserve the title for being spanked three times by my father for trying to pull your hair."

   "You tried much more than that," I laugh. Dey is giving me a curious look, but I shake my head, "I'll tell you some other time."

   "I already like you, Your Highness," he shakes my cousin's hand. "We will work together a lot. The caves play a big part in my plan."

   "Call me Mos," the prinx grins. "We're a family now, aren't we. I hope you will accept this small wedding gift." 

   Mostal hands him an ebony casket, plated in gold and decorated with rubies. Two extraordinary daggers made of glass lay in it. I know them. They are legendary. It is believed that the first fire monster was killed with them thousands of years ago. No one knows their origin, but the crystal they are made of is stronger than any metal.

   "Wow," Dey gasps with sheer delight. "Don't tell me these are the Crystal Daggers. This is too much! I don't know what to say."

   "Just say thank you, silly," Mos chuckles and pats Dey's shoulder before waving to their men to go.

   Suddenly, the noise on the street amplifies to the point that we can't hear our own voices. The children start screaming with excitement and fear. The sea of people withdraws from the sidewalks, back to the lush gardens behind them.

   I raise my eyes and gasp at the sight.

   It's king Dorth's guard, marching in neat ranks, led by Dey's best friend. Tar is riding his big, red stallion at the head, beaming from ear to ear and waving to the children. Harda is walking slowly next to him, leaving a trail of purple saliva and tossing curious glances at the startled multitude around him.

   "Dearest God!" Arxia squeaks next to me. "Look at his muscles. I've never seen something so impressive. And his face, scarred and rough, but still so handsome! Look at those biceps and the tattoos! He's gorgeous! What is his name?"

   "Why I have the feeling that you are not asking about Harda, child," Dey chuckles. "Do you like him?"

   "I... I was speaking about the bat," Arxia shrieks, turning bright red from head to toe, but unable to tear their gaze away from the handsome warrior despite the denial.

   "Hmm," my prince smirks. "I do not see any tattoos on him."

   Tar  jumps from the horse and falls on one knee in front of us, "At your service commanders."

   "Raise, my friend," I smile. "I believe you know everyone here except prinx Arxia."

   "As rare and elusive happiness might be, my heart is racing as I have just found its true meaning. I am enchanted. Forgive me, my prinx. I don't deserve the pleasure of laying my eyes on such an exquisite beauty," Tar says, making Dey's eyes become as wide as plates.

   "Wow, I didn't know you were so good at poetry," he grins. "Be careful, Tar. Arxia is a prophet. Whatever thoughts are occupying your mind, they will easily foresee them."

   "I will be glad to give you all my thoughts and anything else that you might wish to have," Tar bows, placing a juicy kiss on Arxia's delicate hand.

   My poor cousin looks as if they're going to faint at any second, but manages to produce a shaky smile and mumbles, "Would you like me to show you around the palace, count Tarsarian?"

   "Just call me Tar, Your Highness," the warrior smirks, wrapping an arm around Arxia's dainty waist and winks to Dey over his shoulder.

   "Watch out, Tar," my prince calls after him. "The child has just turned eighteen."

   "Do you have any doubts that I am a gentlemen," the warrior grumbles.

   "I don't doubt that you're a fine man," Arxia chirps, pulling him inside.

   "Moon Ray," Dey chuckles, "I think our sweet prophet just found something they couldn't predict."

   "I know some girls who will be quite disappointed," I sigh. 

   A group of children carefully approaches us.

   "Oh, Harda has admirers too," Dey waves to them to come closer. "let's make these cuties happy. Come on, little monster! Down, boy!"

_____________________________________________

Photo 22227789 © George Mayer | Dreamstime.com

A/N

Hello at the end of chapter 36!

Thank you for reading and supporting! ❤❤❤

Some more characters were introduced.

Do you think the meeting between Tar and Arxia is a beginning of a love story?

What is the role of prinx Mostal's caves in Dey's plan?

Share your thoughts, ask questions and criticize, if you think it's necessary.

And don't forget to vote, if you liked the story.

Love: Anny