23 : Monday

Step Twenty Three: Make time to be alone together. Boys can sometimes act different when they're alone with you. Ask him to partner with you for a project or even just talk to him between classes. This will give you time to see how he feels about you when no one else is around!

For the third time in less than a week, I wake up in Jason's bed.

Pants are on? Yes, pants are on. Good.

Thankfully, I'm able to get out without waking him up; Jason must have carried me here before falling asleep on his own. I shuffle to the kitchenette and pour myself a bowl of cereal.

Jason mentioned not having any, but I found a box in his pantry. It was squashed behind a few preserves, yes, but it was there nonetheless.

My crush—my roommate—joins me a few minutes later, his eyes puffy and red, his face swollen. He looks like a morning disaster, but he looks cute, at the same time. He may not be perfect, like I previously thought, but it's the little imperfections that highlight his better features. My heart does a little flip.

"Russell says we're hanging out with Blake and him later," Jason says in the groggiest, deepest voice. Well, not deepest. Nothing can beat the low notes of my morning voice. "So I hope you're free."

I laugh, putting my empty bowl into the sink and rinsing it out. "You guys are pretty much the only people I talk to; I wouldn't have any plans." And it's true, too. I can just ignore today's step, seeing as I already spend tons of time with Jason. It seems as though I'm ahead of the game with these steps, as if I'm completing them before I even know about them. I'm going to try not to dwell on those thoughts too much, though...

"Don't talk like that, Felix. If people were brave enough to approach you, they'd instantly like you. You could probably be a celebrity or something; that's how charming you are. And you dance. You're also a funny guy, Felix. What's there not to like?" Jason says, probably not realizing how affected I am by the sweet, touching words.

"Oh" is the only thing I manage to choke out before shoveling the cereal into my mouth as an excuse not to say more.

Eating cereal today is probably a good thing. Pancakes for breakfast every single day can't be doing wonders for me, considering how little I've moved in the last few days and how I need to learn a full dance routine and song to perform on Wednesday.

And today is Monday.

I'm screwed.

But it's okay; it's fun. Heh.

Getting ready for school is a blur; I totally don't stare at Jason's arms through the tight tee he decided to put on. "Sexy biceps" is what he called them. Not going to give my opinion on that... but I think it's obvious enough.

Wait. Give my opinion to whom? Oh, no matter. Jason's arms conflict me, because I want to both share them with the world and keep them to myself at the same time.

"Yo, man. You look very happy; did something happen yesterday?" Blake asks, leaning against my locker after Jason leaves with Russell.

I can only stare.

Blake.

Blake Turner, my best friend.

Oh, dear lord.

It must have happened while he was drunk, although I can't even begin to imagine how the bleaching process went. There's no other explanation for the vibrant shade of his hair, an electric, carrot-like orange tint. I actually quite like it. I would definitely frame a picture of it and hang it on my wall. Or simply tape the picture, like a poster. I don't mind; either way works.