08

"I'm Jenny Stevens. And no, she and I are not twins."

       "It's lovely to meet you, Jenny."

        Jenny Stevens grew up a happy child. She believed in fairytales and finding her Disney Prince Charming. And she got exactly what she wanted except real fairytales (that they don't read to children) are quite dark.

           In darkness was where Jenny was and she was sure it was where her ending was.

           _____

"Tomorrow?"

"Tomorrow."

The two of them never said goodbye to each other. Their endings were always filled with the promise of more beginnings. They always kept the belief that there was another day. It was something that would never change.

           Even if it was tragic, there were still tomorrows between Jenny and Elijah. The veil between the living and the dead separated them. Jenny watched Elijah and Elijah went on with his life (thinking about her).

            Today was no different.

             It was the funeral for Father Kieran. New Orleans was different and there was a party in the streets in celebration of his life.

Jenny was walking right next to Elijah on his left while Hayley was on his right. Torn between the living and the dead.

Elijah thought that Jenny would've loved a festive funeral like this; something to make people happy like she did. And Elijah was right.

Jenny was smiling while she watched it all (a rare smile nowadays). She thought a funeral should be a celebration instead of a reckoning.

Then she looked up at Elijah and frowned. Although, it seemed like death was always a reckoning.

"I love you," she uttered even though she knew he couldn't hear it.

But his chest tightened painfully out of the blue. He ignored it though. It was normal to him. He felt it so much from missing Jenny that he didn't think anything of it.

Jenny did, though. Elijah smiled slightly like he received a warm feeling and she started to wonder if maybe the living and the dead weren't so separate. Maybe her presence was the one causing him so much grief.

         ______

        "You know when I said I didn't want you to take a step back....I meant that forever."

"Forever? Forever would be a blessing with you, Jenny Stevens."

After the parade, something was wrong with Hayley. The girl's body was laying on a table as her life was hanging by a thread. Klaus had attempted to heal her with his blood but it didn't work. It only created a mess.

               Trauma haunted Elijah's mind. Bloody. The blood that had covered him from Jenny's body resonated in his mind. Broken. Images flashed of limbs twisted in the wrong places. Pale. He remembered how he held her body for so long that her blood ran cold and the color in her skin faded, signifying that she was well and truly gone.

                 Gone. That was the word that both Elijah and Jenny had trouble with. Elijah couldn't accept it when he still saw her smile in his dreams and Jenny didn't want to face the reality that she'd never feel the warmth of his embrace and get butterflies from the way he looked at her; she didn't want to face the reality that their future was only the past now.