25

The first thing George woke up to was the crack of thunder. He shouted and sat up, looking around wildly and wincing when a blinding pain shot through his head.

Gentle hands pushed him back with a voice that said, "Easy, George, just lay down."

In the dim candlelight of the room, George could make out Skeppy's face. He relaxed and leaned back, scanning the room. He was in the infirmary and Skeppy was the only other person in the room.

White light flashed outside as rain pounded on the roof incessantly. It seemed to be night, although the stormy weather could be making it look darker than it is.

"Where's Dream?" George asked. His hand lifted to feel the bandages on the back of his neck and he winced.

"I don't know," Skeppy replied, "he was in here earlier, but left shortly before the storm got super bad. Said he had something to do."

George's eyebrows furrowed. "Did he say anything else?"

Skeppy frowned and shook his head. George's hand rested in his lap and he realized he was shaking. He stuffed them under his blanket, confused. He folded his hands together, trying to quell their shaking, but failed.

George took a deep breath and asked, "Do you think you can get Dream in here? I need to make sure he doesn't blame himself. I know he's upset about what happened."

Skeppy nodded and left, leaving George alone. George studied his fingers, which were trembling under the soft candlelight. He got up and walked to the window, flinching as a crack of lighting shot through the sky, followed by the boom of thunder. His warm palm pressed flat against the glass and George could almost feel the rain.

A click came from the door and George looked to see Skeppy. Skeppy's face was pale and he was drenched from the rain. He said, "He's gone. Dream... Sapnap said he's gone."

George's hand fell from the window and he took a step forward, his steps faltering. "What? What do you mean he left?"

"He's gone," Skeppy repeated. "Sapnap couldn't catch up to him and Dream left, taking Spirit with him."

George blanched, looking out the window. Lightning flashed, ironically, and George whispered, "He left... in the storm?"

Skeppy didn't reply. George knew why Dream was gone. He tore his eyes from the window and walked to the bed where he laid before. Grabbing his boots, he shoved them on and pulled on his cloak.

"George, you can't leave," Skeppy said. "Wilbur said you're not allowed to leave the infirmary until your head heals."

George nodded and took a deep breath. "Okay, so can Techno go out then? He can find Dream."

"Techno left with Bad and Quackity, remember? They're going to the castle."

"What about Karl or Sapnap?"

Skeppy shook his head. "They're both helping Wilbur with the leaks in the kitchen."

George's lips thinned in a tight line and he resumed the buckling of his cloak. His shaky hands made it almost impossible, but George did it. He went to leave, but Skeppy blocked the door.

"George, I can't let you leave. It's dangerous out there, besides your head hasn't completely healed yet."

"I don't care," George replied stubbornly, pulling his hood up, "Dream's out there. I need to find him."

Wind howled against the building and wood creaked as it strained against the gusts of cold air. Skeppy read George's expression and shook his head.