22: Detective

Detective Donell Lawrence

12:03 pm

"Any luck?" Chief asked me as I left the room where the lineup was taking place. "Not one bit" I sighed as I approached the coffee machine, pressing for a black coffee.

"She's been here for two hours and still no lead?"
Tearing some packets of sugar open, I shrugged my shoulders "She's adamant on one look, no suspect has matched it yet" I sighed.
"It's a lineup, all the suspects picked are based off her—"Well look who the cat brought in" Officer Pride announced as he enters the department with a young man on his arm in cuffs. I downed my coffee and placed it to the side as they walked over to chief and I.

"Pleasure to see your well and alive Sin. You go into hiding pretty well" Chief stepped up to the young man twice his height.

"Back tf up, short ass nigga all near my ballsack and shit" he replied, I held in my laugh as others listening around did the same. Chief glared around the room to cease the laughter before asking Pride what the young man was doing here.

"Speeding over the limit, and shot a couple rounds at me" Pride explained. Chief eyes glistened, pleased with the dirt he has on the man, "Don't we love some good news" Chief asked around, while I focused on refilling my coffee cup. "Well Detective why don't we add him to the lineup for the meantime while I file up these charges...how that sound" Chief looked back at me, I scanned the young man, he fits Ms Whitely description, guess we'll give it a try.

"That'll be no problem. Officer, position him in line for me. Chief I'll notify you if there's a match" I said before heading back inside to Ms Whitely with a cup of coffee.

Moments before....

In walks Alana Smith, with an officer by her side, butterfly filled stomach, sweaty clammy palms,
she scans the station. A nervous wreck given spotlight, she gulps. Make-up covered bruises, heavily clothed body, Alana felt suspicious, but to her advantage, didn't look it.

Officer Sanchez approached the young lady, introducing herself as they make motion, sending her condolences. They enter a room, Alana walks in first, she is told to sit while Sanchez does the same opposite her. A recorder on the table, Sanchez makes it known to Ms Smith her rights and the reasoning for her requested visitation before pressing play.

"Now, the early morning of March 19th, where we're you Ms Smith" The immediate questioning threw Alana off. She had an answer but it wasn't the one she should give. Before coming here she was told by Slim to not create any lead to Sincere. He advised her to lie at any given chance that may do so, but Alana was smarter than that, she wasn't going to lie, she knew they'd check everything she's stated and if they found it to be false, more problems would surface.

She cleared her throat, "I was with my best friend" she answered boldly. A dishonest truth. Sanchez nodded, "Where exactly" Sanchez sending another push of a question. "Her place" A lie Sanchez nodded again, "So around what time did you arrive, had you been with her all day before? Because at 8:15 in the morning, your house was up in flames. So I need a guaranteed estimation of your departure from your home on voyage to your best friend's location. May I also be provided with a name" Sanchez asked.

"Micaela....that's her name" she answered, Sanchez nodded, awaiting the rest of her answer. Ms Smith moved her hands from the table to fiddle with them under.

"Um..I left mine....I don't...well I don't really remember but I-um.....[she thought well and long about what she was gonna say, she had no other logical answer, she was panicking and it was showing] maybe seven in the morning" An unthought truth, Sanchez eyebrows rose, Alana had just admitted to leaving the crime scene an hour before it commenced.

"An hour before everything took place Ms Smith? You must expect me to ask why?" Alana felt like breaking down. Flashbacks of her last moments of Rio resurfaced. She relived every hit every touch Rio last made on her, all she wanted at that moment was for Sincere to condole her in his arms..."Ms Smi-

"He hit me" teary eyed Alana interrupted Officer Sanchez. "He came home drunk, drowned in the smell of alcohol. I'd never been hit by him or seen him like this before. I was scared and vulnerable...so I ran" Confession, confession on tape of her role that morning, Alana had not realised she had now placed herself as having a potential motive to kill her partner. She was now a suspect; but of course Officer Sanchez had to make it seem like she was not, a blaming environment could destroy the flow of the interview.

"You ran?" Sanchez repeated. Alana nodded.
"Do you perhaps know anyone that'll do something like this to Mr Miller?" Yes "No"
"Did Mr Miller have any known enemies, mutual or one sided?" Yes "No"
"Are there known individuals to your knowledge that had a dislike to Miller? Yes "No"
"We're your close members of kinships weary about your relationship with Miller?" "I-I don't know what t-that means"
"Was someone jealous of you and Miller's relationship?" Yes "um-No-
"Were there promises made to protect you from Mr Miller that day of his murder or any day previous before that?"
Yes "W-why are you asking-
"Answer the question Ms Smith!"
"No! No there was no potential anything!!" Alana cracked, raising her voice out of frustration.
"Was Miller killed because of you?" Yes "No-
"Was Miller killed by you?" "NO!!"
"Was Miller's death a hit made because of the domestic abuse you endured that morning the day of the murder?" Yes "For fuck sake, NO!!" A broken Alana exclaimed before guilt tears fell down.

"I wasn't just fuckin hit okay!!! That bastard raped me. And I don't know if you've ever been raped before but it's not a nice fuckin feelin ight? That nigga died because it was God's plan. I don't know why or fuckin how, but do not make it seem like I did that shit okay?!! He had been gone all night with those friends of his. Maybe interrogate the fuck outta them because for hell I know Rio didn't even trust their ass. Now leave me the fuck alone!" Alana exclaimed before getting up out of her seat, opening and slamming the door.
Welcomed back into a station busy as can be, her eye caught attention of the one person she longed to see and needed the most.

Her baby

He was surrounded by three men who didn't notice the love struck contact him and Ms Smith made. Glossy eyes from Ms Smith, Sincere mouths in the short seconds they had to spare "Sunflower" Alana nods, a sad relieved smile pressed to her face. "Hi mama" she reads his lips. She chuckles with a smile. "Hi baby" she mouths back, he begins to be pulled, "I love you" he says. "I love you too" she does the same before his departure brings them both back to reality. She pouts as she feels sadness, making her way in the opposite direction from him. Just before she did, Sanchez walks out of the room and catches the last second of Sincere and Alana's non vocal interaction. Ms Smith on her way out the exit to even notice it's been caught.

excuse any mistakes
like, vote + comment x

tbc