Chapter 15: Parting of Ways

The return to the village with the others was filled with excitement, practically everyone was like Rigurd, happy to see us well and open to welcoming the new people after we told them to get along. The first thing I did after returning was bringing my new weapon to Kaijin. As for Rimuru, his first duty was to be lazy. He had commented about how, when he brought up the idea of founding a country, that I would be the one running it. I told him that I had realized that and was why I threw the responsibility back at him, knowing full well he planned to put others in charge of matters. Such as making Geld the Orc King, putting him in charge of the other orcs.

Additionally, he asked Benimaru and the others to join him in the meeting hall to give them roles, giving me the chance to split off and find Kaijin. I planned to depart soon and wasn't planning on using my skills once outside the Jura Forest. For that reason, I decided to use the Disaster's Blade and have it sharpened. It would also be nice to get some armor, allowing me to play the part of a young adventurer.

Kaijin was away from his workshop, checking on the dwarf brothers who were chatting about the state of their work. Construction, while we were away, hadn't stopped, the same was true for the production of clothes and weapons. I couldn't follow the clothing talk. Back on Earth, when I watched shows with Sofia, I never had a particular understanding of the art of designing clothes. But they seemed happy to talk about their work. Happy workers are a happy society. When Kaijin realized I had a job for him, we walked and spoke on our way back to his forge.

"Things may be peaceful, but it looks like the work is going to be increasing," I complained to Kaijin.

"Yes, we're going to have to accommodate for the new residents," The dwarf man replied. "You're also wanting to give me work, what can I do for you?"

I took off the blade roped to my back, "I want you to sharpen this blade and give me some armor if you have spares that fit." My job caused him to raise an eyebrow.

"I didn't take you for the sword type," He said, stopping to give the blade a lookover. "Sharpening it shouldn't be a problem, but if you want something that's truly yours, Kurobe and I could make you a better weapon."

"Sorry but that'll take too long," I said, Kaijin combed his fingers through his beard as we continued walking.

"It isn't my place to ask what you are up to, but I'll help how I can," He said as I rested the blade on my shoulder.

"Thanks," I replied and the matter of what I was planning was left at that.

"Oh, and as for armor, I'm glad you asked," He continued, "There's a few pieces I think you'll like. Nothing too loud so you won't stand out. If that's what you're looking for."

"You're reading my mind," I answered.

Stepping inside his workshop, I tried on the leather armor made from a tempest serpent, a monster that used to live in the sealed cave before Rimuru and I cleared them out. The materials Rimuru collected were given to Kaijin to use and make equipment with. The jet-black scales were nice, but I felt I would stand out a bit too much with a full set. Removing the armguards and helmet that went with it, I ended up requesting a traveling cloak as well to cover the rest of the scale armor.

Pieces, such as the boots, were replaced with material that came from direwolves that didn't know better and tried attacking while we were gone. Which told me that they can defend themselves without us at least. Satisfied with my appearance, I put the armor aside to help Kaijin by holding the large blade for him until Kurobe showed up. Rimuru had called for him as well with the use of [Though Communication] and had given him a role. He wasn't slow to figure out what was going on, but like Kaijin, knew it wasn't his place to say anything.