Part 1: Chapter 35

Chapter 35: Aftermath

A decision made in one night had the power to change everything. Even without making their breakup public the people around them were quick to adapt to it. Within days, their friend group split. Since Ethan and Chris couldn't stand to be in the same room, their friends had to pick sides and that became the permanent split: Ethan, Aiden, Meaghan, and River on one side, Chris, Aaron, Scarlett, Rachel, and Courtney on the other. Ethan knew that everyone still kept in touch. River was always up to date with Rachel's volleyball matches and Scarlett wasn't surprised to hear about Meaghan's perfect math score, but Ethan and Chris were kept in separate spheres.

Ethan often wondered what people thought had happened. Did they think it was a fight? A betrayal? Maybe they assumed that Chris had snatched up the girl Ethan was in love with. Or maybe, they'd assumed that the two of them had just drifted apart. In the end, Chris was the true winner because even after everything ended, all anyone could think was that two friends weren't friends anymore. Ethan would never be seen as important to Chris.

But the pain that tightly squeezed at Ethan's heart when he thought of that was a steady reminder. Behind all of the anger and sadness was longing. Every day, he came to miss Chris more. Chris was his boyfriend and best friend. Ethan's anger was temporary but his feelings wouldn't go away. He kept up a tough front, appearing indignant at all the right moments. Truly, though, Ethan imagined that one day, Chris would grab his hand and pull him away, confessing passionately about how he'd made a mistake and realized that no matter what, he needed Ethan in his life. Then, he'd pull Ethan into a kiss and Ethan would melt into his arms just as he did every single time.

But the days went by and still, Chris didn't reach out. Finally, Ethan started to consider reaching out himself. Should I just talk to him he'd wonder every time he passed in the halls? The idea of calling him would pop into his head every time Ethan opened his phone. Maybe he would have done it. Maybe one day Ethan would have finally worked up the courage if not for the news he heard that day.

He was walking to the cafeteria for lunch and was pleasantly surprised when Aiden intercepted him on his way. But Ethan could quickly tell that something was off.

"Are you okay, Aiden?" Ethan asked, a concerned tilt to his head.

"I'm fine," Aiden blurted, a bit too quickly. "Perfectly fine. It's just, I have something to tell you."

"Ethan!" River yelled, waving from the cafeteria table. "Aiden!"

It seemed like they'd gotten to the cafeteria sooner than Aiden expected. He looked at River with wide eyes, then turned back to Ethan. However, Ethan was already heading toward the table. Aiden had to hide his frustrated huff as he followed behind his best friend.

The table filled up quickly, Meaghan getting to the table right after them. Then, Rachel and Courtney joined them. Having the unusual but welcomed guests was such a nice surprise, Ethan got distracted and forgot about what Aiden had said only a few minutes before. Growing impatient, Aiden reached out and touched Ethan's shoulder.

"Ethan, can I talk to you in private for a bit? It's kind of important." Aiden asked, whispering into Ethan's ear.

"Can it wait until after I've eaten?" Ethan asked in response. "I only have a couple of bites left."

Aiden agreed with a curt nod but didn't seem to relax. Ethan was growing a little worried but reminded himself that they would talk about it in a second. If Aiden agreed to wait, Ethan was sure that everything would be just fine.

Ethan zoned back into the conversation to hear Meaghan complimenting Courtney.

"You just have such a glow to you," She explained, causing Courtney's cheeks to turn pink. "You look happier."