Chapter Three

Hunter ~

The scene was chaotic when they arrived, with civilians scattered and barricaded in all directions as the police tried to control the crowd and keep everyone at a safe distance.

Controlling that many terrified people was no easy task and often made it difficult to navigate a crime scene for Hunter and his teams when they were assisting.

Dialing Kenzie's number on repeat, Hunter scanned the crowd, searching the scared faces of every petite female that he passed. His eyes darted from one holding area to the next searching frantically for any sign of Kenzie or Zeus.

His steps became heavier and more determined with a deep scowl on his face as he and Logan combed through the sea of people.

"Where the hell are you Kenzie?" Hunter mumbled under his breath.

With his head swiveling back and forth, Hunter became more and more anxious with every passing second, but didn't dare let it show. On the outside he was calm and collected, but internally...he was frantic.

A young officer was directing people down an alleyway trying to get them a safe distance away from any potential impending explosion.

Hunter flashed him some identification and asked where the threat area was, listening to the mans response, but still searching for Kenzie.

He and Logan took off for a small white tent that had been set up in the center of the park and saw the medical examiner laying a sheet over a body nearby.

For some reason Hunter found it hard to breathe as they approached and rubbed at the center of his chest, trying to rid himself of the strange sensation.

Get a hold of yourself Hunter.

A loud bark, pulled Hunter from his terrified thoughts, causing him to whip his head around to follow the sound.

"There." Logan said loudly with relief in his voice as he pointed toward Kenzie and Zeus who were standing by a park bench near the swarm of police.

Thank fuck.

Hunter's shoulders visibly dropped as he pushed out a breath of relief at the sight of Kenzie and Zeus unharmed. He and Logan jogged over to where Kenzie was standing, but was stopped by police.

"Get back behind the barricades." The man ordered.

Get out of my damn way, we're here to save your ass.

Flashing his credentials to the officer with deep irritation on his face, the man quickly moved to the side, pointing him in the direction of the bag.

"Why is she not being directed away from the scene?" Hunter asked, motioning toward Kenzie.

"She's giving a statement. Helped talk the guy off the ledge and convinced him to surrender so we could take him down."

Of course she did. She never stops talking.

Hunter pulled his attention to Kenzie who was standing there with her arms wrapped tightly around her middle and Zeuss leash in hand. Zeus' eyes were glued to Hunter and stood slightly in front of Kenzie, protecting her from the chaos around her.

Good boy. Don't leave her side.

Kenzie finally noticed Hunter and gave him a small smile that made him want to run to her, but he fought the urge and internally reprimanded himself.

They're fine and you're here to do a job. Keep them safe by eliminating the bomb threat.

"You alright Kenz?" Hunter called out.