54

real life

After hanging up the phone on Niko, August couldn't fight off her smile as she slipped on a pair of black Converses. She grabbed her phone and her face mask before opening the door and slipping out into the hall.

She met Taylor waiting outside, typing away on her phone. Taylor looked up when the door opened and beamed at August.

"Hey! You ready to go?" Taylor asked, slipping her colourful face-mask out of her pocket and hanging the loops behind her ears.

"Yeah! We're good," August replied, smiling back before hiding her own face behind her all-black mask.

"No Phoebe?" Taylor wondered, adjusting her tote bag over her shoulder and started walking down the street.

"Nah," August chuckled softly, closing the small metal gate behind them. "She's having the time of her life with Kitty. She hasn't spent time with another dog in a while."

"Aw, yeah. You know, I was surprised at how gentle Kitty's being with Pheebs. She's usually just so aggressively loving, but not with her," Taylor mentioned, her arms swinging by her side. She walked just a few steps ahead of August, which wasn't exactly unusual but August wondered if perhaps the blonde was trying to put some distance between them, maybe on purpose.

"I noticed. She just knows that Phoebe's a special dog," August said and winked playfully when Taylor looked around for a moment.

They walked a little further in silence until August spotted a young woman across the street with her phone out, very obviously pointed in their direction. Taylor kept looking ahead but August knew she had definitely noticed the camera. She was probably hyperaware of them at all times in public. Was that why she had been walking at a safe distance ahead?

August's pace slowed down just a little until there was a whole ten feet between her and Taylor and it was only then that the singer stopped and turned around with an eyebrow raised. "What are you doing?"

August ran her hands through her hair, bouncing her curls between her fingers. "Just making sure I look extra good for those pictures."

Taylor rolled her eyes but August could tell she was smiling, even with her face hidden behind the mask.

"You look beautiful," Taylor chuckled softly, "Twitter's gonna rave about those pants."

August laughed, glancing down at the green high-waisted trousers she had worn. "Zoë's gonna have a field day trying to make sure everyone knows I stole those from her," she explained and then looking up at Taylor, she smiled softly and added, "you don't look too bad yourself, Tay."

"Thanks," Taylor chuckled and held her hand out, wiggling her fingers for August. She stepped closer and grabbed Taylor's hand, immediately feeling her stomach churn but she ignored it.

August smirked to herself and made a show of looking at Taylor's endless legs. In the denim shorts she was wearing, August couldn't even deny the fact they were just drop dead gorgeous. She was looking. respectfully.

[August be like: ]