31 | larkspur

1711, Aethiel Palace, Kestramore City

       Despite the suspicious circumstances surrounding the death of the Marchioness, the House of Breckenridge ultimately had no one to point their finger at. In the end, the case had to be closed, and the Marchioness's body was transported back to Avionne.

Cosmina was anguished, almost catatonic even. And as Demitria had promised, she was allowed to leave anytime she wanted to. So she did.

   "I will miss you, Mina," Catarina whispered as she tightly embraced the expressionless, almost wooden-like Cosmina Breckenridge. "Have a safe journey home."

Cosmina nodded and tried to muster a smile, though it failed to reach her tear ridden eyes. "I will miss you too, sweet Catarina. When all of this is over, promise me that you'll come to visit me?"

    "I would have gone with you right now if I could. But yes, I promise that I'll come to you as soon as I can."

They embraced one last time, savouring each other's warmth. When Cosmina walked out through the door, Catarina felt as if a part of her soul had left her, and all that remained was a cold, bleak existence.

    "I am aware that many of you are displeased with our current circumstances, and a certain few would much rather leave the ceremony," Princess Demitria spoke to the remaining six ladies, though her eyes lingered on Catarina for a little too long

    "So, I've come up with a solution. It is quite simple, actually. Raise your hand if you wish to remain, and keep your hand down if you wish to leave. The majority wins."

Catarina anxiously glanced at Jessamine, who seemed almost ecstatic at the thought of being able to discard these silk dresses and corsets. She could hear the faint voices of Marguerite le Prince and Lavinia Olivier as they chattered amongst themselves, and Catarina knew very well that those two would never leave.

As she slumped back on the chair, she realised that she had not made her choice yet. Earlier, she had spoken rashly in a fit of rage, but now that her anger had subsided, she began to feel remorse instead.