Double Agent

October 16th, 1995

"Miss Chaunte, will you please tell the class what one must do to prevent violence in an already heightened situation?" Umbridge's smile was sickeningly sweet, the sort that you could tell was built from layers upon layers of bitterness.

I huffed, a gesture that I knew wasn't wasted on her, as her smile faltered ever so slightly, and stood up. The satisfaction of that sight gave me more than enough fuel to answer her silly question despite the cowardice that it was laced with.

This is a Defense Against the Dark Arts class, not a lesson on diplomacy.

"Well, I guess you'd try to come to a compromise?" I said, more of a suggestion than an actual answer. "That way, you could both give some or gain some for the sake of a peaceful agreement."

"You guess, Miss Chaunte?"

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes and instead opted to force a fake smile of my own. Quiet laughter came from a few people around me, though it wasn't as if they hadn't dealt with the same sort of thing from Umbridge. If anything, they were probably laughing at how redundant this entire scenario was.

"You told us yourself, Professor, so no," I responded, "I do not just guess." My eyes flickered to the clock on the right wall beside me in an impatience to leave that I could only hope was concealed from her prying eyes.

"Very well," she said, "You may be seated."

She had scanned around the room and picked around ten people to answer some questions for a "review" that she stated would be our ticket out of her class. It wasn't that I minded, it was nothing more than a set of annoyingly simple questions about the day's lesson, but I was aggravated at how long she'd draw this out when we could have been finished twenty minutes ago. It was like she always found the need to push things as far as she could take them.

And the ones that had spoken out against her before were her favorite toys.

Harry had told me the stories of how she would single him out from the rest, asking him frivolous questions that she clearly knew the answers to in an effort to draw unnecessary attention to him. Luna suspected that her goal was to have him in the spotlight more often so that she could make embarrassing him even worse when she had the chance, one that he wasn't giving her, much to her frustration.

He wasn't the only victim of this either; Hermione and Cho, as well as Neville and Ginny in an instance or two, were also called out for saying something that Umbridge didn't particularly like.

I sat down and shifted a little to get comfortable in my seat. There were still two more people left, which I assumed was the equivalent of ten more minutes of watching them become her prey until she decided her appetite for torture was satiated.

"Looks like she's moved on to a different chew toy now," the boy next to me joked. I had come to know that his name was Amadeus Parkinson, brother of the dreaded Pansy Parkinson.

A Slytherin.

He had caught me off guard with how well he concealed the arrogance and bitterness that seemed to run through his bloodline according to the words of none other than himself. It amazed me with how much of an effort he was making to remain nothing more than a wallflower away from all of the attention that was being unwillingly given to a lot of students from Umbridge and other students themselves.

He wasn't one for drama, certainly not one for extended conversation unless it was a quick sarcastic remark, but those qualities often meant that he wasn't exactly one for niceties. There had been more than one instance where I've had to discreetly kick his foot from under our desk to keep him from continuing on and saying something that would set Umbridge's fury alight.