The Choice

When I got back to Montagu House everything was dark and quiet. I pushed open the front door into a cold and gloomy hallway, instantly on edge, my eyes darting this way and that. There was no screeching or excitable women, no music, no laughter or clink of glasses from the dining room. Other than the guards outside the house seemed empty.
     Where was everyone?
     Instantly alert, I dragged my knife, which Willoughby had given back to me shame-faced and awkward, and gripped it in my fist.
     The House should be heaving at this time of the evening, with dinner about to be served and women running around finishing getting ready. The Princess should be holding court in the drawing room, port in hand and a wild tale on her lips.
     What if she hadn't got home this morning? My last memory of her was her kicking legs in the air as she threw herself into the carriage outside Rothwell House. But what if she's been taken anyway, what if Beresford and Paulette had found her after they finished interrogating me? What if another assassin had got her? What if, right now, she was lying dead in her room, only hours after seeing her daughter again?
     A clink sounded from the library and I froze, ears pricked and every muscle of my body straining.
     Creeping down the corridor, I pressed close to the wall and trained my ear towards where the sound had come from.
     The library door was closed, but a soft light came from the crack underneath. I edged closer and pressed an ear to the door. A soft murmur, muffled from the wood, leaked through. It was too distant to recognise.
     I breathed in deep and careful, gripping the hilt of my knife and raising it in front of my chest, knees bent ready to pounce.
     The door flew open, sending me stumbling backwards.
     'Kate!' Sarah screeched, jumping forward and grappling me in a tight, ferocious hug. Her rose and lavender scent washed over my and I felt every ache of the day ease away, even as my heart was still pounding. 'Thank God you're alright, where have you been?! We've been so worried.'
     She pulled me into the room and I was suddenly surrounded by women, fussing and hugging me and cooing in worry.
     'What happened to your face?'
     'Who did that to you?'
     'Where have you been all day?'
     'Does the Princess know you're back?'
     My head rang with it all and I was still clutching my knife like I was about to take all of them on at once.
     'Get out of the way!' I heard an imperious German voice and the women instantly melted away before a blotchy and tear-stained and furious Princess Caroline, marching towards me in a thick housecoat and shawl.
     I gasped with relief and sagged into Sarah, 'Your Highness, I'm so sorry I couldn't–'
     My voice was stopped firmly when she grabbed me and pulled me into a warm hug, wrapping her arms tight around me and pressing my head into her shoulder. I froze under her grip for a second, then melted completely into her, waves of relief and warmth and love seeping through me.
     'I was so worried about you,' she said into my hair, stroking my back with practiced fingers. 'When you didn't come home after this morning I didn't know if those monsters had taken you, or if you were even alive.' She pulled away until she was looking deep into my eyes, 'you saved my life this morning, Katherine. I am forever in your debt.'
     I smiled weakly and squeezed her hands, 'it was my honour, Your Highness.'
     Tears wetted her cheeks and she wrapped my hand in both of hers and held them to her. 'We must get you washed up and warm, and get a doctor to see to you.'
     'No, thank you, Your Highness. I can manage on my own.'
     'Nonsense, I'll send someone to fetch him directly.'
     'Your Highness,' I said firmly, 'thank you for your worry. But really, it is nothing a couple of days rest won't heal.'
     She held my hand tighter, 'you're sure? You look awful.'
     I laughed, 'I am quite sure, but thank you.'
     Holding my gaze for a moment longer, she nodded and turned her attention to one of the ladies fluttering around behind me, 'tell the housekeeper to warm Miss Wentworth's bed and send up a bath. And some food as well.' She let go of me to bustle away and hand out some more orders, scattering servants and excitable ladies in her wake.
     'Was it bad?' A serious voice came from behind me and I turned to see Lady Bruce in all her velveteen and satin glory, clasping her fan tightly in her hands. She left her firm gaze on my face and I knew she had noted my limp and the way I angled my bruised ribs away from people.
     I raised my chin, 'nothing that won't heal. How was the Princess?'
     'Terrified, beside herself with worry.' She sent a fond look towards Caroline, 'she couldn't eat all day; just paced the House and gardens like a caged animal. She wanted to go back out looking for you but I told her you would want her safe here.'
     'Thank you.'
     'No, Miss Wentworth,' she reached out and touched my hand lightly. I looked at where her fingers rested on mine – she'd never touched me before. 'You saved my friend's life today. And even that was after reuniting her with her daughter. You have my everlasting gratitude for what you have done.'
     I looked up and she held my gaze with a frank gaze. We'd never been particularly close, she and I. Despite being the one who came to fetch me from Somerset, and always being the voice of reason in the Princess' mad escapades, she had held a professional distance. Now, however, she was just a woman who had been scared for her friend.
     I nodded, and she smiled, 'now, we should re-join the party.'