Chapter 24: A morning inside the Arkwright Household

Two hours passed and the clock read six-thirty o'clock in the morning but the father and daughter duo were still occupied with their own works and tasks. The sun is already up and the room was illuminated by the light coming from the big window of the study. The chirping of birds could be heard, Avy blew a puff of air as she reached the last page of the book she was reading. She closed it and glanced at the window. It's bright already? She was too immersed in what she was reading that she didn't notice the time passed by too quickly.

She could feel her hungry stomach complaining since she didn't eat anything before coming to the study, she figured that she had to rush to the dining hall before she drop from starvation. Again. She's used to not eating on time back in her previous life and only stuffing her face with instant food she gets from convenience stores near her house. Her mom and dad were both busy people and they didn't have enough time to do the grocery for her. It's not that she needs them to do it for her anyway.

After transmigrating into a new world where she is a noble lady, she started eating on time because Mariel nags her a lot if she doesn't. All her food is also in proper balance prepared by the head chef, it was completely different from how she lived her life in the past. And if she were to say, she's getting too accustomed to people serving her that she even unknowingly waited for Mariel to invite her to breakfast, it's already thirty minutes late since her scheduled eating time and her stomach is not taking it nicely.

She looked at the Duke who was still absorbed in the documents on his hands, he looked like he was used to all-nighters, sitting on his chair and reviewing papers for hours is no longer a challenge for him.

Avy took a deep breath and cleared her throat before speaking. "Aren't you going to eat breakfast?" she asked. Just to be clear, she's not worried about him, if he's hungry or not, it's just that, it would feel too awkward to stand up and leave the study without saying anything. The whole two hours of silence didn't feel uncomfortable at all, but walking out all of a sudden doesn't feel right.

"I will eat breakfast later. Don't concern yourself with me and just go ahead." the Duke answered, again, not sparing her a glance as if his eyes were glued on the papers.

Avy furrowed her brows. Not sleeping enough. Not eating on time. That sounds just like her in her past life. Also, one of the reasons why she died, if she had enough strength to get out of the way, she could've survived the accident.

"Should I ask the maids to bring your food here?" she stated.

"I refuse. I still have other duties to perform. Albeit unnecessary, I do appreciate your suggestion." her father said, still refusing to go. It seems like he wouldn't budge from where he was sitting even if an earthquake shakes the whole manor, not without finishing what he started.

"What are those anyway?" she narrowed her eyes at the documents, feeling curious about what he was working on.

"The terms and conditions of the magic stone contract with Eusvel. It's a matter that cannot be rushed." 

Avy just shrugged and laid herself back on the couch. "I'll wait till you finish then. "She picked up the book she finished reading and opened it once again. Although she really wants to get up as soon as possible, she also doesn't want to leave the Duke alone. And the reason? She doesn't know why.

She was just about to stand up to get another book from the shelves when she heard the screeching of the chair sliding on the floor. She looked at her father who was fixing his sleeves, he was on his feet and it looked like he was ready to leave his work. 

"Very well." he stated with a sigh of resignation visible on his mature and handsome face.

Avy watched him as he made his way to the door of the study, it was just not long ago when he refused to leave his seat, what made him want to go out of his cave now?